Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos - 4 weeks

Posted by Potbellypirate on 4/1/2016 at 17:18

Hi,

yet another itinerary question, sorry in advance.

My husband and I have 4 weeks in October to explore Cambodia and Vietnam, we would also like to see a little of Laos. Our rough itinerary is as follows:

Flying Melbourne to Siem reap - 4 nights
Ho Chi Minh City - 4 nights
Hoi An - 4 nights
Hue - 3 nights
Hanoi - 4 nights
Luang Prabang - 4 nights
Bangkok - 3 nights, then fly out to Melbourne

We will be flying between countries and taking the train where possible in Vietnam. I would like to see more of Laos but not sure if we can squeeze any more in.

Does anyone have suggestions? Should we reduce some days in major cities or leave something out altogether? The only places that are must do’s are Siem Reap and Bangkok - we have been several times and want to visit friends before heading home.

thanks

#1 Potbellypirate has been a member since 4/1/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by mikal83 on 21/1/2016 at 06:24

IMHO Too many nights in
Hoi, LP, and Hanoi....unless your including a Halong trip. We have just teturned from a 2 1/2 month trip to SEA and would have changed things a bit.

#2 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140

Posted by dlbt96 on 22/1/2016 at 22:56

Hi, as Hoi An is a pretty town, I suggest you adding Da Nang in. It's just about 30km from Hoi An and there are so many more things to do. You can visit My Son sacred place, exploring the Cham ancient civilization. If you're in luck, you can join in their festival and learn some dancing moves :D It was a memorable trip for me meeting with Cham people and spend some wonderful time with them :D Da Nang is also full of famous dishes such as: Quang noodle, Banh Xeo, Banh Beo, Banh Nam, Banh Bot Loc... talk about food adventure ;) Oh and don't forget Ba Na Hills. The weather is cool and comfortable, the sights are just amazing, take the cable car and dive in the beauty of heaven :D And so much more!! Well, sorry if i'm being too excited, Da Nang is my hometown though :D

#3 dlbt96 has been a member since 4/1/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by simontran on 22/1/2016 at 23:15

Hi Potbellypirate,

I've been to Hoi An , Hue and Ho Chi Minh city, so I can just give you some suggestions about these places.
+ Ho Chi Minh city:
4 nights may be a little bit excessive, but you can travel to many destinations.
For example, if you are interested in modern architecture, Bitexco Financial tower - Saigon skydeck, Anh Sao Bridge - Ban Nguyet Lake or Saigon garden are some good suggestions . Street scene at night is also inspiring because a lot of motobikes will make your photo uniqe.
If you are keen on classical buildings or places , main post office, Notre Dame Cathedral or reed fields in district 2 may be suitable for you.
+ Hue:
3 nights are sufficient to discover.
Traditional attraction as Khai Dinh tomb, Tu Duc tomb, Hue citadel, Hue imperial city,... are recommended
Moreover, Huong river is a wonderful river due to its specially inspiring beauty. Or there is also a kind of music which is acknowleged by UNESCO because of its highly historic values. It's called "Nha nhac cung dinh Hue", which was usually served for kings only in the past.
+Hoi An:
This place is well-known for its picturesque and peaceful scene. I've been travelled to Tra Que village and Cam Chau paddy field, which makes me totally impressed by their natural beauty. Morever, farmer activities could also be another attraction, and you can even try to grow as well if you want :D
Furthermore, Hoi An ancient town is a must-go destination, especially on 15th every lunar month. This town will be blackout and lit by latterns from every house there. Wandering around this small town, trying their cuisine such as white rose cake, "cao lau",...
Hope you will enjoy your trip!

#4 simontran has been a member since 9/1/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by bambiheo85 on 22/1/2016 at 23:28

Hi, I have been to all the place you mentioned in Vietnam. So here are my recommendations.
In Ho Chi Minh city you should go to the center of the city of course, places in district 1, 3,... is great for backpacker. You should also visit Mekong Delta and Cu Chi tunnel. Mekong Delta is an exotic countryside that you can explore to know more about the culture and habits of the countryside people. Cu Chi tunnels is a historical side that can bring you back to the old day of vietnam war, combo with the rubber forest, it's sure bring you a very natural experience.
In Hoi An you should visit the traditional village, you should also visit My Son sanctuary. btw, you should take a lot of picture in Hoi An, Hue as these are very beautiful and antique town of Vietnam.
You can go to all of this place by train. You shouldn't miss Sâp and Ha Long as these are very beautiful and tourist attracting.

#5 bambiheo85 has been a member since 7/1/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by WillVo on 22/1/2016 at 23:35

Hi Potbellypirate
Ho Chi Minh city is very nice which friendly citizen. On going there you should once visit this following list or you will be regret : Duc Ba Notre Dame, Ho Chi Minh museum, Main Post Office, Independent Palace, Ben Thanh market, Rooftop Bar, The Opera House, Bui Vien street, Nguyen Hue street. These are top tourist attractions in Ho Chi Minh city but it won't take you 4 days In my opinion, you just need 2 days in Ho Chi Minh by bus and then move to Mekong Delta or Cu Chi to increase your experience in VietNam. if you want to understand VietNam history Cu Chi tunnel is recommended and Mekong Delta for people who more interest in culture. In Mekong Delta you will enjoy the atmosphere here such as floating market, tasting tropical food, .... Ah I advise you also try out some special tour such as vespa tour, photo tour , street food advanture,....Hope you find my post helpful.

#6 WillVo has been a member since 22/1/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 22/1/2016 at 23:50

Really much depends on what you want to see and do and experience on your travels and you provide no help here

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by adrianlopez on 27/1/2016 at 03:02

Hi
I think you should cut down your night you stay in Hanoi about 2 nights enough. You also should add more Halong or Phu Quoc in your itinerary. Other way, you can add Mekong Delta tour, you can easily take bus or Mekong cruise to travel Luang prabang. Perhaps saving more money for you.

#8 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.