Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

3 Weeks Independent or Tour?

Posted by Syk0t1k on 7/1/2016 at 05:09

Hi Everyone!

My girlfriend and i are planning a trip to SE Asia later this year. I have worked out at the end of August i should have about R22,500 ZAR or $1400 saved. It's not easy saving here in South Africa but doing the best i can! Not sure if that would be sufficient for a trip that length...
I will have 18 leave days available to me at the end of August including weekends and one public holiday which equates to about 25 days.

Ultimately we would like to cover Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam. And stuck on whether we should be looking at a tour or doing the trip independently. I have been looking at tour operators such as Intrepid & G Adventures. Also Are those three countries a bit much for the time we have? should we narrow it down to two countries or even just one?

I have also read that weather might be an issue when we want to travel in August / Sept / October?

I am reading as much as i can for the time being just to educate myself a little better, however it's always nice to get a real world response with advice from people who are familiar and are experienced with the region.

Any help or advice or even just a kick in the right direction is always greatly appreciated!

#1 Syk0t1k has been a member since 7/1/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by TerroirTravel on 7/1/2016 at 15:09

Hi,

Your post prompted me to look back at my expenses when I first traveled to SE Asia, and tracked every baht/riel/dong. We were 2 people at first, with more time than you have. In Thailand, we spent, for a month, a little more than you did, in Cambodia, we loosed the strings and spent more, and Vietnam was super affordable, even though I (alone), did lots of cool excursions and side trips.

First, traveling in these countries is so easy that you don't need to pay someone to structure it for you. Every guesthouse you stay in will help you, or sell you a day tour somewhere near, or rent you a bicycle or moto.

That said, you are biting off a lot for this time period. You'll get better feedback if you tell us what's important to you- history, culture, food...

#2 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76

Posted by Syk0t1k on 2/2/2016 at 04:34

Turns out, i was biting off way more than can be chewed. We have since revised our thinking and have decided to spend that entire time in Thailand only. We still have plenty time to plan our journey, but for now the flights and Bangkok accommodation have been booked.

It's going to be a long long wait until October, I really cannot wait for this trip!!

I will start a new post in the Thailand forum moving forward for all my Thailand specific questions!

#3 Syk0t1k has been a member since 7/1/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by adrianlopez on 17/2/2016 at 22:04

September through to the end of the year is best time to visit SEA, so you don't worry about weather. Personally, if you want to help from tour agency, you should book tour in each country instead of book SEA tour at one tour agency because each tour agency at each country will have interesting itinerary than tour agency at other country. About tour agency, i think that best way for you is refer on Tripadvisor to find suitable agency for you.

#4 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.