Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in 19 Days?

Posted by Torncalfguy on 1/2/2016 at 22:48

My wife, teenage daughter, and I are planning a trip for almost 3 weeks from late June to early July. Any and all feedback on our general itinerary would be appreciated. As you'll see from the planned itinerary, we currently anticipate going to all three countries via considerable air travel to save time.
We've purchased tickets arriving in Chiang Mai (via Washington DC/Toronto/Hong Kong) on a Monday, flying out of Phnom Penh late on a Saturday night nearly three weeks later. Here's an outline of number of days we're currently planning:
Day 1: Arrive in Chiang Mai in early evening, eat, sleep
Day 2: Get our bearings and walk/bicycle around Chiang Mai
Days 3-4: Elephant park (1 day) and canyoneering/rock climbing (me and daughter, who rock climbs)/cooking class (wife) other day
Day 5: Chiang Mai through lunch/fly to Luang Prabang in afternoon (15:30 flight)
Days 6-8: Luang Prabang and surroundings
Day 9: LP in morning, 1430 flight to Siem Reap
Days 10-11 Angkor (Siem Reap) (daughter and I will not want to do this for more than 2 days--we know ourselves and know we'll love the first day and lose steam/interest as the second day is ending)
Day 12: Siem Reap through lunch, 16:15 flight to Sihanoukville
Day 13: Boat from Sihanoukville to Koh Rong Sanloem (Lazy Beach probably)
Days 14-15: Koh Rong Samloem
Day 16: Leave Koh Rong Samloem (0900) and travel from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh by taxi
Days 17-18: Phnom Penh
Day 19: Phnom Penh; leave for U.S. via late flight (leaving PP for Seoul at 23:20)
[Day 20: Worth leaving Seoul airport if we arrive at 6:30 and international flight to Canada is at 15:00?]

Any suggestions to change the itinerary? Is this doable if the flights are generally on time (and I know this is a huge "if")? Would you advise buying flight tickets now for CNX-LPQ and LPQ-REP, or should they be similarly priced ($135USD per person currently) and available in a few months?
Do you think we're spending way too much or too little time anywhere? We want a mix of adventure/activities, history, and relaxation. A beach stop is something we all would look forward to after seeing lots of history and doing lots of bicycling.
Thank you for any thoughts--positive, negative, or just things to consider.

#1 Torncalfguy has been a member since 15/11/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by Torncalfguy on 1/2/2016 at 22:57

One minor edit--I just checked Vietnam Airlines, and their fare LPQ-REP is $105, including all taxes.

#2 Torncalfguy has been a member since 15/11/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by adrianlopez on 17/2/2016 at 22:11

I agree with your itinerary, but one thing i am afraid that June-July in Thailand having heavy rain with dry and sunny stretches, perhaps getting some different with climbing activity

#3 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Posted by Torncalfguy on 17/2/2016 at 22:52

Good point. We may just see how the weather looks. There is an abseiling (rappeling in American English) company that may be good for an outdoor adventure without the rock climbing. It's at http://www.clifftopadventure.com/. We may see about doing that instead.

Also, instead of spending three days in Phnom Penh (including the last day when our flight is at 23:00), we now plan to spend a day around Kampot after returning from Koh Rong Samloem, leaving 2 days and 2 nights in Phnom Penh. Our daughter can go climbing with Climbodia in caves around Kampot while the old folks do something a little less adventurous.

#4 Torncalfguy has been a member since 15/11/2015. Posts: 5

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.