Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in April May/June. Which way?

Posted by Jessicajade on 5/2/2016 at 17:28

Hello,

I am flying into Bangkok on the 11th April and had originally planned to travel north and then go to Laos, Vietnam and arriving in Cambodia early June. However I am now wondering if it would be better to do it the other way round and go straight into Cambodia from Bangkok and travel counterclockwise so that I can get the most out of the dry weather for the beaches instead of arriving there when it's raining? Any advice?

#1 Jessicajade has been a member since 5/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/2/2016 at 02:48 admin

Yes, I'd definitely re-arrange and hit the islands in April as a far better chance of great weather (probably extremely hot) then than in June.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,097

Posted by Captain_Bob on 7/2/2016 at 02:53

Also note you are arriving at the onset of New Year so be prepared for a soaking, and note transport and accommodation get very busy.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Posted by Jessicajade on 8/2/2016 at 08:44

Thank you! Yes i just realised we are set to be leaving Bangkok on the 13th of April which is the first day of the festival!? now I am quite up for celebrating Songkran however don't particularlly want to stay in Bangkok for 5 days until the festival is finished. Do you have any advice on what I could do here? perhaps there is somewhere I could go that is outside of Bangkok on the way to Cambodia to celebrate it instead? Or is transport just going to be an absolute nightmare during this time? Any ideas on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

#4 Jessicajade has been a member since 5/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Jessicajade on 8/2/2016 at 09:03

Is there anyway I can get some kind of night train or bus to Cambodia on the 13th in order to miss the crowds and avoid my backpack getting soaked? or do the celebrations continue into the night as well?

#5 Jessicajade has been a member since 5/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/2/2016 at 01:49

Where are you headed to first in Cambodia ( Siem Reap ?) The water flinging aspect of Songkran usually stops after sundown, but somewhere very touristy/busy like Khao San Road it tends to continue until late. If you want to escape Bangkok at the onset of the festival just take anything headed to the border day or night, as transport will be very busy. Bear in mind Cambodia also celebrates new year same time and places like Siem Reap go crazy. Try asking your guesthouse/hotel for a minivan or head up to Mo Chit bus station at the top of the skytrain network and grab a bus to Aranya Prathet. On the Cambodian side hook up with other travellers and get a shared taxi to Siem Reap. Good luck ;-)

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Posted by adrianlopez on 17/2/2016 at 21:28

April is best time to visit Vietnam and not best time to visit Cambodia because on the month, weather in Cambodia is too hot. In my oppinion, you should keep your itinerary, visiting Vietnam and Laos, then visiting Cambodia.

#7 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.