(sorry posted this in the wrong bit before!)
What a fab site to stumble across!
A friend and I have 30 days for a whistletop tour, starting and concluding in Bangkok. Not enough to do it justice of course but nevertheless...
We were thinking of working clockwise, leaving Bankok immediately for Laos for 4-5 days, onto Hanoi and down through Vietnam for about 9 days onto Cambodia for 4-5 days and finishing in the Islands of Thailand for about 9 days before spending the last 2 days in Bangkok.
Due to our time restrictions, we're not sure if it would be best to do some organised tours? i.e. which will take us down thorugh vietnam...is this necessary?(recommendations? are they best to book before or when you get there?)
We'd like to see the plain of Jars in Laos, do Vietnam from Hanoi to Saigon, and of course Angkor Wat in Cambodia, we'll be generally island hopping in thailand. We heard there is a lovely 2-3 day boat trip you can do, would the best place be Ha Long Bay or Nha Trang?
What's the best way to get from Phonasaven (Plain of Jars) to Hanoi?
What's the best way to get from Saigon to Angkor Wat? From Angkor Wat to The islands? (seen some super cheap flights on Air Asia and Laos airways...are they safe?!)
Its quite vague at the mo, its a last minute trip and we leave in less than a week, so all suggestions gratefully recieved!!
Also we only have about £800...is this enough for the month?
Thanks in anticipation!
#1 littlelau has been a member since 7/5/2006. Posts: 4
Wow - that's a lot in a short period of time! Take a look at our trip-planning section for starters as some of the trips cover portions of what you're doing -- this should help you to get an idea of how long it takes to get from A to B.
A couple of things leap out at me:
1) 4-5 days in Laos and you want to get to Phonsavan. The only way you'll be able to do this in so short a period of time is to fly there from Vientiane or Luang Prabang. Also you don't mention Luang Prabang -- if you haven't been there before I'd strongly recommend Luang Prabang over Phonsavan.
2) From Laos to Vietnam -- fly from Vientiane to Hanoi.
3) Fly from Saigon to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat)
4) For islands - consider overlanding it from Siem Reap to Ko Chang, though you'll be arriving on the cusp of the wet season... so perhaps Samui/pha ngan/tao would be better options.
5) 9 days to do Vietnam top to tail is a lot - consider flying a couple of legs -- perhaps Hanoi to Da Nang...
I know I've recommended a lot of flights -- but you're trying to cover soo much in a short period of time that you need to weigh up the cost of the flights vs being on a bus for three wuarters of your trip. See the trip planners for estimates on how long legs take and you'll see what I mean.
Air Asia is great for budget fares and are worth checking out. Also look into NokAir for domestic flights in Thailand. Lao Airlines are generally ok to fly with.
Whew -- that was a lot of questions! ;-)
#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,788
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest
Thanks so much somtam...yeah, we realise flights are the order of the day, i had checked out the trip planners...esp the vietnam one looks to pretty much cover everywhere we want to go. Thanks again x
#3 littlelau has been a member since 7/5/2006. Posts: 4