Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

25 days all over Asia! Please help with itinerary!!!

Posted by Tinaheeyu on 16/2/2016 at 13:21

My college friend and I am finally heading to Asia in late August to mid September. We have 25 days and this is what we have so far. Please leave me feedbacks and comments! This is also our first time traveling to Asia other than our home country, South Korea.

7 days in Japan

3 days in Taipei
5 days in Hanoi
5days in Bangkok
5days in Chiang Mai

Is this too ambitious ????

#1 Tinaheeyu has been a member since 4/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Thomas922 on 16/2/2016 at 14:40

I think you are a little too ambitious...you will hate yourself from all of that air travel. I spent almost 3 weeks in Vietnam and still didn't do it all. Why don't you choose a couple of places and really immerse yourself? Unless you are the type to say.."I went there" as an ego trip. But then you don't have much real memories because you came and went so quick.

I lived in Japan for 6 years in the Tokyo region and 7 days is like a nap. Its over too quick. It is a 6 hour flight from Tokyo to Bangkok. 3-4 hours to Hanoi. But remember you have to lose that day travelling. Where are you flying to Japan from? Let's start there......

#2 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352

Posted by Tinaheeyu on 16/2/2016 at 15:22

I'm flying from Seattle to Japan. I knew it was too ambitious! What if we just traveled japan, Thailand, and Taiwan for those 25 days? Or is Vietnam worth it ? Or skip Taiwan and do Vietnam Japan and Thailand ?

Definitely not the I've been there type of traveler!!

#3 Tinaheeyu has been a member since 4/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Tinaheeyu on 16/2/2016 at 15:28

I'm flying from Seattle to Japan. I knew it was too ambitious! What if we just traveled japan, Thailand, and Taiwan for those 25 days? Or is Vietnam worth it ? Or skip Taiwan and do Vietnam Japan and Thailand ?

Definitely not the I've been there type of traveler!!

#4 Tinaheeyu has been a member since 4/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Thomas922 on 16/2/2016 at 15:58

EVERYTHING is worth it.......but what is the place that makes your heart flutter? It is easiest to skip Taiwan because it is not in the direction you are going. You can fly to Bangkok first and then Vietnam and then Tokyo. Easier way because the long trip is over first. I would spend the entire trip in SE ASia ......but if you insist then............

What you will find if you go to Bangkok first you will have a longing to see the south as 90 persent of the people you meet and party with will be heading down. You will want to go to Pai as all the young folks who visit Chiang Mai tend to do....Angkor Wat is a quick flight and 3day diversion from Bangkok.

OMG...you will feel stressed that you are leaving if you go there first and sad you didn't have more time if you go last. I love Japan but they are totally different destinations for diff reasons and you get diff feelings. Now remember flying into japan will cost more during tokyo's Obon season. it is a holiday time. I will have to check the dates this year. Also there is a mid Sept long weekend also. Japanese costs go up as everyone has similar days off. They don't choose as freely as we do so ALL places go up!!

So...skip Taiwan and let's go from there.......

#5 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352

Posted by Thomas922 on 16/2/2016 at 16:02

In 2016, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 6 and August 21. The busiest days are expected to be around August 11-13 with people leaving the big cities and August 15-16 with people returning to the big cities.

Just got this from a site......so flying in or out on the busiest days will cost more.

Sept 19-22 is a holiday period but it falls on a Mon-Thurs this years so not as busy as if it was a weekend....

#6 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352

Posted by Thomas922 on 16/2/2016 at 16:06

And I say skip taiwan because Viet/Thailand are in SE ASIA and easier to traverse without going out of the way. See map. There is so much to do in Thailand/Japan that you will find you need another trip let alone trying to stretch just ONE (1) city in Vietnam.............

#7 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352

Posted by Thomas922 on 16/2/2016 at 16:14

I didn't mean to say taiwan wasn't in the direction just that the other places are grouped closer together.......

#8 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352

Posted by adrianlopez on 16/2/2016 at 20:38

Hi,
In my oppinion, you should spend 3 days in Hanoi and 2 days in Halong or Cat Ba to enjoy wonderful beach and discover amazing caves of Halong by cruise because Hanoi have not beach so you only join sightseeing or visit rural village outside of Hanoi such as Duong Lam village, Bat Trang village.

#9 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.