Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary help please - which way to go

Posted by JennyRose on 4/4/2016 at 05:19

So, after a 2 week holiday in Thailand in Feb I well and truly caught the Asia travel bug, got home, quit my job and am about to embark on my first solo backpacking trip!

I'm trying not to plan much as I want to be free and play it by ear but I'm also thinking it might be good to have a rough idea of a plan... so, here are my thoughts, any advice greatly received :)

I fly into Bangkok mid April and that's all I have planned, my first question is will I have problems getting in if I've not booked any onward travel? Especially as they'll see I've just been in Thailand a month and a half before? If yes, what's my best/cheapest way of showing some onward travel bearing in mind I might not actually use it?

Then where I'm going to go - looking at the weather etc here were my broad thoughts, does this make sense and can anyone suggest anything more logical/better etc?

Fly into Bangkok mid April (not sure what to do in Thailand at this point) maybe travel South to the Islands for a bit?

Fly to Manila in May and have 1 month in Philippines in May

From Philippines to Singapore to Indonesia for June, some of July

Malaysia July and August

Back to Thailand travel north into Laos then to Vietnam and then to Cambodia.

Does that make sense? I'm travelling alone so would rather not be in places in quiet seasons as I'd like to meet people. And in terms of interests I love scuba diving, trekking, visiting temples and a bit of party.

Advice please!

#1 JennyRose has been a member since 4/4/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 4/4/2016 at 10:00

"will I have problems getting in if I've not booked any onward travel?"
They will probably let you in no worries, depends on which passport of course. Main issue is leaving from home airport, check-in staff may ask to see proof of onward travel.

"Especially as they'll see I've just been in Thailand a month and a half before"
That's a non-issue. No problem.

"what's my best/cheapest way of showing some onward travel"
You could buy an Air Asia ticket from KL to the Phils, that would work, and actually fits your plan.

"Fly into Bangkok mid April"
Have you heard of "Songkran"? It's the Thai new year festival and makes things crazy approximately April 12-16 with busy transport and accommodation.

"Malaysia July and August"
Two months in Malaysia? At least you'll have time for Borneo too.

"Laos then to Vietnam and then to Cambodia"
How much time for that? Hopefully a couple months. Be sure to look at Vietnam visa options, the other two are dead-easy though.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,957

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.