Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Help!

Posted by Purplehayes on 9/5/2016 at 21:36

Hi everyone!

This is my first post so please be kind :)

I am looking to travel to SEA starting from NOV/DEC this year. I have only really started looking into it as this year has flownnnn by. I am going to be travelling for approx 6 months and I am looking at Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia,

I would love some ideas of where i could start and maybe a general direction that would be best for me to head in? I am travelling from Australia :)

I know this is a rather vague post but any information is good information :)

Thanks a lot :)

Dana.

#1 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11

Posted by amnicoll on 10/5/2016 at 06:38

Just look for cheapest flights to the capitals and start from there and follow a logical route that will cover the things you want to see and do. No need to fix anything in stone as flexibility is important

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by Purplehayes on 10/5/2016 at 17:15

That makes sense to just find the cheapest flights. haha thanks :)

#3 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11

Posted by exacto on 10/5/2016 at 19:35

Scroll up to the top of the page and start with the Planning and Itineraries sections. That will give you good information to help draft a tentative itinerary. Things to consider in drafting your itinerary include weather and visa requirements too, particularly for Vietnam.

Lots of folks choose to fly in and out of Bangkok, and make a big loop. Bangkok is a good starting and ending point because the flights to/from there tend to be cheaper than other area destinations, and because Thailand is one of the more novice-friendly places in southeast Asia. You can spend a few weeks there to get your travel legs. After that, the other places will be much easier to navigate. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by Purplehayes on 10/5/2016 at 22:06

Thanks Exacto :) I have been browsing through that section. I think its just a bit overwhelming haha :)

Ok awesome!! I will look in to Bangkok as a first location! I'm also looking at flying into Phuket as I want to attend the Loy Krathong festival which is basically right at the start of my intended trip start time. ( in fact i'm thinking of going earlier so i can attend ) Do you think Phuket is a good place to start out?

#5 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11

Posted by brendonklumph on 10/5/2016 at 22:58

You'll have a long vacation in 4 countries; you want to DIY or book tour. If you want to travel by yourself; you should begin with Thailand Vietnam Cambodia and Laos. Thailand is known as the golden temples and a list of a national park; so you should join trekking and sightseeing tours. You can visit from the north to south of Vietnam such as Hanoi ; Halong; Sapa ; Hue ; Danang ; Mekong Delta. From Vietnam to Cambodia; you should book Mekong cruise to travel

#6 brendonklumph has been a member since 10/5/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 10/5/2016 at 23:53

Hi Dana,

Phuket would be a fine place to start. It is a bit touristy for the taste of some people who frequent Travelfish, but I've always enjoyed my time there, and the island offers good food, architecture, and culture in addition to beaches.

How do the costs of flights from Australia to Phuket compare to flights from Australia to Bangkok? The Phuket airport is on the north end of the island, but I think there are shuttles (minibuses) you can take to get to your accommodation.

Loy Krathong is one of my favorite Thai festivals too. But it is all over the country, not just in Phuket. I'm guessing you read about some specific or special Loy Krathong event in Phuket you want to attend?

#7 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by amnicoll on 11/5/2016 at 04:35

Most of the places you will arrive at are likely to be touristy and for a newbie this is probably not a bad thing. You will have plenty of time later to go more off the beaten track once you have got your sea legs (so to speak)

Your post was vague and so was my original answer but as you provide more input then Thailand becomes the obvious place to start and if you want to be in Phuket soon after you arrive then a good place to start.

One thing to take into consideration in planing your route (apart from logic) is the weather. Northern Laos and Vietnam (an to a lesser extent Northern Thailand) can be very cold in Nov-March whereas this is ideal weather for the rest of your itinerary

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by Purplehayes on 11/5/2016 at 19:40

Hi Exacto-

In most of the reading I have done it says that the beaches in Phuket are the best as the way the wind blows is better or something to that effect. But I'm obviously not an expert in this haha.

Sydney to Phuket - Qantas - 1 stopover - $370
Sydney to Bangkok- Emirates - no stopover - $380

There are cheaper flights with AirAsia but as far as I have read... they don't provide any meals or refreshments and it would probably end up costing more anyway.

There is so much to consider!! haha :)

Amnicoll- Thanks for your last point about weather,, I have been looking at weather but from what I have read it seems as thought the weather should be pretty good for most of the trip but i can have Laos and Vietnam as that latter half of my trip :)

Also- My family is all worried as I am a female travelling on my own.. is there anything anyone could tell me about safety concerns? I mean obviously I plan to use my common sense.. i don't intend to do much drinking at all.. no walking alone at night etc...

#9 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11

Posted by amnicoll on 12/5/2016 at 04:46

There are many single females traveling around Asia and many post similar questions. Read up on Scams, as you say use your common sense and I would suggest you book somewhere to stay on your first night so you can grab a cab from the airport to hotel

#10 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by Purplehayes on 12/5/2016 at 20:30

Ok cook, thanks for that.????

#11 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.