Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

6 weeks - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia??

Posted by FrancesTidey97 on 13/5/2016 at 17:58

Hello! I'm planning a trip for this summer to SEA and have a strict limit of 6 weeks, flying in at out of Bangkok. I know that less is more but it is so easy to get carried away and want to go everywhere!
I was planning on following the route of Bangkok to Chiang Mai, maybe Chiang Rai as well, then flying from C. Mai to Luang Prabang, flying to Vientiane, then into Cambodia (haven't done that much research around this area but thinking about Siem Reap and Angkor, Battambang, Phomn Phen), the heading back into Thailand to see a few islands like Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta before returning to Bangkok.

Any advice on this itinerary would be highly appreciated!

Problem I have is I would really love to visit Yangon and Bagan in Myanmar, and I'm toying with the idea of adding this on (for a week or less) or even replacing it with Laos, any ideas?

Thank you !

#1 FrancesTidey97 has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by Rene020 on 13/5/2016 at 20:39

dont fly it to lao no need cross the border up from chang mai then take the slow boat over the mekong 2 days orso to luang prabang vientianne vieng vieng etc orso bus it down to don det 1000islands relax get high over there go into cambodia with the bus have a look at some temples at ankhor after that get the outta there fast no need for battembeng and go to pnom phen if you want to see killing fields and s21 and have a happy pizza the rest is pretty grim you can check out some graffiti at Beoung Kak (be carefull you dont die) on the way. if you like backpack shizzle go down to sihanoukville catch a boat to koh rong(samloem) have a fishy bbq next to tons of empty beaches and party people relax for some days swim with glow in the dark plankton go for a dive or snorkel then take the bus into thailand go to koh chang chill a bit listen to some reggae before going back by bus to bangkok or leave it out is time is against you, from there go to krabi/aonang rileigh by plane.

going to myanmar will cost and time and if you're only in the area for 6 weeks i woudent recommend it. or skip the thai islands there full of selfie stick click happy tourists. and fly to Myanmar instead.

#2 Rene020 has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/5/2016 at 19:27 admin

It's a lot of miles in six weeks, but certainly doable.

First, Burma - I would say fly in and out from Bangkok to Yangon - two nights there and then fly to Bagan (or train/bus if you want to spend a bit longer) for two/three nights there, then back to Bangkok. That is a week down and can be fitted in at start or end of the trip. You can also overland across, but you'll use up a significant amount of your limited time doing that - I'd reccy flying.

For the rest, Overland from Bangkok up to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, then bus to Chiang Khong and take the boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang (takes best part of two days). This is a very standard route and easy to do.

From Luang Prabang, there are actually direct flights to Siem Reap, so unless you want to go to Vientiane , you could fly straight down. That would save you some time (otherwise fly from Vientiane no probs).

In Cambodia, the Siem Reap, Phnom Peng, Battambang loop works well in either direction and you can either overland back to Bangkok or fly ex Phnom Penh (in which case go to Battambang before Phnom Penh! )

Islands wise, it depends when you'll be in Thailand - you say summer, but whose summer? Thailand's monsoon season will see Ko Lanta and Ko Phi Phi quite wet till Octoberish...

Hope that helps.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by missamandalim on 15/5/2016 at 22:31

Personally, I think you should visit Thailand, Laos and Cambodia as well. You can visit Myanmar later.

#4 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by wanderer143 on 4/7/2016 at 11:12

Best to spend 3 weeks in Thailand. Bangkok or Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai or Pai first, or explore the beautiful islands down south. They're not to be missed! And yes, Yangon is astounding! Spend the rest of your 3 weeks in Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia's top attractions. This is pretty exhausting but if you're able to do everything in 3 weeks, it may be fulfilling for you. Good luck!

#5 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 136

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.