Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

2 Months in Southeast Asia - July/August HELP !

Posted by briank on 19/5/2016 at 07:02

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to SE Asia this summer starting in July to end of August.

Our plan is to fly into Bangkok and out of Bali with the goal of visiting Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia.

I realize July/August begins the rainy period for Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam but is nice in Malaysia and Indonesia for the most part. Our plan was to stay in Bangkok and from there spend a few days in Chiang Mai, back to Bangkok, then to Ko Kut/Ko chang, on to Cambodia and Siem Reap . This would all be land travel.

From Siem Reap we would fly to Hanoi and spend a few weeks working our way down to HCMC before flying to Sabah, Malaysia. From there we would spend a few days in KK and try to work our way down to Sepilok before moving down to Indonesia.

Questions:

Given we are going in July/August, i understand it would be better to start in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam given it will be worse there in August (whereas Malaysia/Indonesia will be nice in both months). Is that true?

Are there any places that we are glaringly missing? Or places that you would recommend omitting?

I've read that Vietnam requires at least 2-3 weeks given the slowness of travel. We don't mind paying up for a flight if that means visiting another place. Is it better to travel to any of these locations by plane instead of land?

thank you!

#1 briank has been a member since 19/5/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by missamandalim on 20/5/2016 at 01:53

The temperature varies between 27 and 32 in Hanoi and slightly lower in Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City. Highland areas remain cool but with rain- the temperature can drop to below 20 at night. Personally, you should visit the north of Vietnam, especially Hanoi is so beautiful in fall.

#2 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by amnicoll on 21/5/2016 at 06:05

I would say you are trying to do too much in the time.

It may be doable but you will miss so much and spend too much time traveling. You could easily spend the whole time just exploring Indonesia and still be rushed

just remember that the places you drop will still be there next year

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by DLuek on 22/5/2016 at 01:18 TF writer

Five countries in two months will be a tiring, whirlwind trip. I agree with amnicoll that it's too much, or at least it would be too much for me, especially if it were almost all overland travel. If you stick to this plan you could cut down on travel time by taking several short flights. For example you could fly Bangkok to Chiang Mai (Lion Air, Nok Air, Air Asia, Thai Smile) and in Vietnam you could fly Hanoi to Da Nang and/or Da Nang to HCMC (Jetstar, Air Asia). Especially if you're just going up to Chiang Mai for a few days and aren't hitting any place between there and Bangkok, it really makes sense to fly -- and flights through those airlines aren't much more expensive than train or bus if you book in advance.

You're right that July is usually a little less rainy in Thailand than August, but not by much. You should expect Ko Chang / Ko Kut, in particular, to be pretty damp in either month. Not sure about Malaysia.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by amnicoll on 22/5/2016 at 05:49

I agree the need for internal flights but another option for bangkok to Chiang Mai is the overnight sleeper - you could catch a day train in the morning to Ayutthaya or, my recommendation, Lop Buri (mainly because the old town is very compact and it is easy to visit in a half day or so) and explore and visit the ancient temples, enjoy a pleasant dinner and hop on the train

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.