Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary advice - first time to Thailand

Posted by ribigia on 23/5/2016 at 05:24

My boyfriend and I will spend 12 days in Thailand between the end of July and the first week of August: we are planning to spend 4 nights in Bangkok (visiting Ayuttaya as a daily excursion), then moving to Kanchanaburi (1 night).
After Kanchanaburi we would like to spend some beach days: we were looking at Prachuab Kiri Kan and the surrounding area. We are looking for a quiet relaxed place. Is it adviceable to take anti malarian tablets, as this area is next to Burma border? We also plan to do an excursion to khao sam roi yot national park.
As an alternative, we can consider Hua Hin but I understand that it is more touristy.

Also, which is the best way to get from Kanchanaburi to Hua Hin/Prachuab?

Thank you!

#1 ribigia has been a member since 23/5/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by missamandalim on 23/5/2016 at 05:29

best way (if you don't want to hire a private van/minibus) is to take the bus to ratchaburi from Kanchanaburi and then change here for hua hin.

#2 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by DLuek on 24/5/2016 at 01:58 TF writer

It's a pretty good 12-day itinerary except one night in Kanchanaburi seems kind of pointless... At least make it two nights so you get one full day there. You could do one night in Ayutthaya and take a minibus direct from there to Kanchanaburi -- might as well so you don't have to do Ayutthaya as a day trip.

From Kanchanaburi there are tourist minibuses (not private ones) running direct to Hua Hin , where you can transfer to a minibus for your beach destination of choice. I'm not a big fan of Hua Hin; you could try Ban Krut or Bang Saphan for something more laid back. I really enjoyed Sam Roi Yot. The beaches down that way are just okay by Thailand standards and it will be rainy in August.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by amnicoll on 24/5/2016 at 06:20

There is no need to take anti-malarials unless you are considering sleeping near the border in which case you would need to check but the towns you mention are completely safe

I liked Prachup Kiri Khan when I was there so stick with your guns and go there

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by RetributionTravel on 15/6/2016 at 22:01

Thank you so much. We are also looking to go to CM. Do you know if they will have pollution problems around middle of August?

#5 RetributionTravel has been a member since 15/6/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by DLuek on 16/6/2016 at 02:30 TF writer

August is middle of the rainy season -- no smog problems then.

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by Yesterday on 16/6/2016 at 21:28

I went from Kanchanaburi to Prachuap Khiri Khan a few months ago - we got a driver (just asked around) to take us to Ratchaburi train station where we got the extremely comfy train the PKK. Just check the timetable to line it up
We loved PKK! I highly recommend it - quiet and relaxed are perfect adjectives for this town. We went to Phraya Nakhon cave on one of our days and I would strongly suggest doing this. There is a lovely beach there too

#7 Yesterday has been a member since 9/8/2015. Posts: 33

Posted by amnicoll on 17/6/2016 at 05:50

By the way there are plenty of buses as well from Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.