Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Which order to travel in: (Start: Thailand, End: Bali) -> Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam

Posted by tr1 on 15/6/2016 at 03:12

Hi everyone,

First post... my boyfriend and I are heading to Southeast Asia in mid July for just over 4 months.
We know our start destination (Thailand, 3 weeks) and end destination (Bali, a month), but between this we want to also travel to Laos (2 weeks), Cambodia (2 weeks), Myanmar (2 weeks) and Vietnam (3-4 weeks).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best order to do this in to minimise backtracking / avoid particularly bad weather? I've seen this post: https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1
which is really helpful, but wondering where best to fit Myanmar in?
We are willing to fly if it's not tooo expensive... but have factored in 1-2 days of travel between each place.

Thanks!

#1 tr1 has been a member since 23/5/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by amnicoll on 15/6/2016 at 04:46

Just look at a map and plan logical route that includes where you want to go and overlay the weather maps 9and make alterations if necessary).

if it were me I would have started in Bali and ended up in Thailand from a weather point of view

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by RetributionTravel on 15/6/2016 at 21:59

Yes but is there a recommendation? We are planning a travel in two months.

#3 RetributionTravel has been a member since 15/6/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by chantungsinz on 15/6/2016 at 22:32

You can travel from the north to the south of Vietnam during 3-4 weeks. Do you want book tour or travel alone?

#4 chantungsinz has been a member since 15/6/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by amnicoll on 16/6/2016 at 04:29

yes start in Bali
yes simply plan a logical route that takes in the places YOU want to see

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by antoniamitchell on 16/6/2016 at 06:37

While it's great to take weather patterns into account, the reality is the weather isn't necessarily a deal breaker - unless the main purpose of your trip is beach-bumming or surfing, it won't honestly make THAT much of a difference whether you catch the best weather or not. So as others have said, pick your route based upon the things and experiences that excite you the most, and to minimise time wasted backtracking, and you'll have a great time.

Antonia

(And take out really good travel insurance before you go)

#6 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 16/6/2016 at 20:31

it's better to start from Bali based on the weather forecast and the most reason of it. it's nothing wrong if you start on Thailand, beside the weather forecast has totally change now, like this month in Bali (June) it's training for more than 3 days in row for this years for the first time ever and it never happen before such weird weather. so happy travel :)

#7 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by wanderer143 on 4/7/2016 at 11:25

Yes, best to start with Bali, then Thailand, Laos or Cambodia then Vietnam. These countries have a close proximity to Thailand and so it's best to start with Bali first.

#8 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 136

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.