Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary help -

Posted by jetskidd46 on 6/7/2016 at 14:19

Hi all,
I recently booked a RT ticket to Bangkok (July 12-August 4), but I have literally nothing else planned. I've sketched out a rough itinerary below, but it's way too ambitious for 24 days. Does anyone know what I should prioritize? What I should skip? I'm not much of a partier, and I tend to like history, culture, and nature. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Land in Bangkok (1-2 days) Siem Riep/Angkor Wat (2-3 days) Ho Chi Minh City/Mekong River Delta (3 days) Hoi An/Da Nang/Hue (1 day each) Hanoi/Ha Long Bay (3-4 days) Luang Prabang (2-3 days) Chiang Mai (2 days) somewhere beachy in Thailand (3 days)

#1 jetskidd46 has been a member since 6/7/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/7/2016 at 20:34 admin

Yes, that is action packed - and not a loop I'd recommend once you factor in travel times.

What about something like:

Land in Bangkok (1-2 days)
Siem Reap & Angkor Wat (2-3 days)

## Insert here Phnom Penh for 1/2 nights then do an overland/river trip to Saigon via the Mekong Delta - any agency in Phnom Penh can assist with this.

Ho Chi Minh City/ (2 days)

Hoi An /Da Nang/ Hue (1 day each)
### pick one of the above. I would recommend Hoi An or Hue over Da Nang

Hanoi /Ha Long Bay (3-4 days)

I would drop these last two and get a low cost flight from Hanoi back to Bangkok then down to the beach. Just insufficient time in my opinion.

Luang Prabang (2-3 days)
Chiang Mai (2 days)
somewhere beachy in Thailand (3 days)

Also factor in your transport times (or plan on flying a bit to ave time).

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by elenacopper365 on 7/7/2016 at 02:26

I have the same idea with the first post .In Bangkok, you should spend 2-3 days to travel because Bangkok is a wonderful city with a lot of things to discover and shopping as well. 2 days to visit around Siem Reap and stay in Mekong Delta 2 days with homestay at local people and enjoy floating market in early morning. Hoian, Hue and Danang, I think you should miss Danang because you can enjoy An Bang beach and homestay in there. Hanoi and Halong, you have to spend 3 days at least because from Hanoi to Halong you have to spend 4hrs to transfer and overnight in Halong Bay cruise

#3 elenacopper365 has been a member since 28/6/2016. Posts: 18

Posted by jetskidd46 on 7/7/2016 at 14:01

Thanks so much. That sounds like great advice. Do you know how much Mekong River Cruises usually run?

#4 jetskidd46 has been a member since 6/7/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/7/2016 at 17:37 admin

No problem.

Price wise it ranges depending on if you're looking at a 2 night 3 day or 3 night 4 day trip, probably around the $70-100 all up mark -- prices vary a bit between agents.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by matran12a17 on 11/7/2016 at 03:55

You should spend more time in Hoi An . Hoi An is quite interesting and have many things to explore such as night market in Ancient Town, An Bang beach and some traditional festivals.

#6 matran12a17 has been a member since 21/6/2016. Posts: 8

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.