Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

general advice on itenary

Posted by markhill93 on 23/7/2016 at 11:52

Flying into Bangkok 15th October, doing a stag do in pattaya for ten days, afterwards I'm backpacking on my own and looking on travelling for upto 3 months, time isn't an issue. I want to do most of Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia, can any recommend a specific route to take? hoping to get as much sun as possible as well.

Also have a budget of around £3000- £3500, is this possible... I don't mind doing lots of things on the cheap.

Thanks!

#1 markhill93 has been a member since 23/7/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/7/2016 at 01:33 admin

Suggest you take a look at the Suggested itineraries section as that has some broad strokes routes to consider, then come back with more specific questions that others will be able to assist with. As really depends on your interests (beach/mountains/culture/food/cities etc etc )

Around 1,000 pounds per month is fine for a budgetish trip around the joint.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by antoniamitchell on 24/7/2016 at 18:47

Hi,
As Somtam said, without really knowing much about you, it's difficult to give much advice around itineraries, but doing some reading on this site (the itineraries pages, and following the links to various destination pages) will enable you to start to get some idea of what you'd like to see and do.
WRT costs, does your budget include the costs of the flights, or is that in addition? It sounds to me like it should be sufficient for how many people travel. How much you'll need really depends on how you like to travel and what sort of thing you like to do:
* You can travel in the region for $20 / £13.33 a day, if your travel style is very basic budget - staying in run-down places (ordorms where available in larger/more touristy towns), probablysharing bathrooms, eating basic food on the streets, not movingaround too much or doing much/visiting many attractions thatcharge, not drinking much.
*$30-35 / £20-23 a day gets you a more comfortable basic budget - you'll have your ownbathroom and maybe air-con, eating mostly street food but also the odd restaurant meal or beer, moving around a bit more and visiting more places.
*$40-50 / £27-35 is getting more into a comfy, almost mid-range budget - nowyou can afford to take a few taxis, splurge on a mid-range hotel ortwo, eat more of your meals in restaurants, have a few big nightsout, do some tours or more expensive activities.
It's also possible to spend way more than that - lots of diving and organised tours, lots of big nights out, lots of women (sorry to be presumptuous, but as you're going to Pattaya for a stag do, it occurred to me that you might be planning on hanging out with the bar girls, and that ain't cheap, from what I've heard....)
Onlyyou know what level of travel (very basic to almost mid-range) you'llfeel comfortable with, but I will say this (on the assumption that this might be your first extended trip): you may think before you go that you'll be happy roughing it every day, but you may find once you're on the road that you don'twant to be stuck on a really low budget for such a long time. What's bearablefor a 3-4 week trip can become soul-crushing on a 3-6 month trip, as you spend another night sweating and unable to sleep, or you have to keep saying no to opportunities that sounds great, just because you can't afford them.
Have a great trip

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by exacto on 24/7/2016 at 19:29

(sorry to be presumptuous, but as you're going to Pattaya for a stag do, it occurred to me that you might be planning on hanging out with the bar girls, and that ain't cheap, from what I've heard....)

you make me laugh, antonia. but as with hotels, food, and transport in thailand, prices are relative...

your excellent point on trying to survive on too low a budget is worth emphasizing. i've long thought it is far better to have the time of your life for six weeks rather than just get by for three months. particularly if the point of a trip is adventure or exploring, it is a real shame to have to pass on day trips or other opportunities because you don't have the cash. plus, as you say, life on the road can really take a toll on you, physically and emotionally, and it is essential to have enough cash for at least a good splurge hotel or meal or air conditioned taxi ride every so often.

also, don't forget you travel insurance. cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,814

Posted by antoniamitchell on 24/7/2016 at 20:14

(but as with hotels, food, and transport in thailand, prices are relative...)
I'll have to take your word for that, Exacto (wink)

I'll second (and third, and bazillionth) Exacto's final point about travel insurance - always ensure you've got good quality insurance, and that it covers any activities and sports you think you might want to do.

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by elenacopper365 on 24/7/2016 at 22:39

Actually, you can spend 1 month for each place above. You'll get the free visa in Thailand during 4 weeks, you should spend 4 weeks in there to travel around. Furthermore, if you are American, you will get the free visa in Vietnam during a month too. In Vietnam, you should spend time to travel from the north to the south of Vietnam. You can refer the article about the beautiful Phu Quoc island: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/travelling-phu-quoc-island-and-unforgettable-things_us_5786eeebe4b0e7c8734f68ee

#6 elenacopper365 has been a member since 28/6/2016. Posts: 18

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.