Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Island Paradise suggestion

Posted by uncleanslim on 26/7/2016 at 12:44

Hi everyone,

I am in the midst of planning my 2nd SE Asia trip and would really like to start things off (after the obligatory layover in Bangkok) with a bit of beach time. Last time around we really enjoyed our time on the quieter part of Koh Lanta and Gili Trawangan, but not so much the built up holiday maker vibe of Koh Lipe and the lack of snorkelling in Langlawi.

We were initially thinking of going to the Philippines (El Nido/Coron) but after looking into it, it seems like the air travel price/logistics of getting out there and back again through Manilla might not be worth it (we really want to relax after a 17 hour flight from Uk) so decided to maybe give it a miss, as much as I'm sure id enjoy it.

So basically what we're looking for is:

Somewhere that's not TOO difficult to get to from Bangkok.

Really good snorkelling right off the beach (this is a must)

Not too overrun with tourists.

Not too expensive.

Any help or suggestions anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated

#1 uncleanslim has been a member since 26/7/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 26/7/2016 at 23:31 TF writer

Places in Thailand that come to mind are Ko Kradan, Ko Ngai, Ko Kut and Ko Wai. The "good snorkelling right off the beach" requirement narrows it down quite a bit... I like islands like Ko Muk, Ko Libong and Ko Maak too but those require day trips for really good snorkelling. If you don't mind a national park island (more difficult to reach and very basic accommodation/food) you might consider Ko Surin, Ko Lao Liang or the Similans -- all three are spectacular.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,344

Posted by tr1 on 28/8/2016 at 23:32

I would recommend Koh Tao- there are lots of beaches you can snorkel off (which were amazing). The main beach on the island is quite busy but there are lots of quieter beaches on the island to get away from it.
And apparently much cheaper than Koh Samui etc, we found it very cheap. The only thing I would check is the weather, we were there a month ago and it was beautiful weather but may not be the case now.

#3 tr1 has been a member since 23/5/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by wanderer143 on 3/9/2016 at 15:44

Palawan is one of the best when it comes to scenery, water activities etc. so I highly recommend it. But if you really have to give it a miss this time, Koh Tao is a good choice.

#4 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 136

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.