Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

The Big One, First time, 6 months need help!

Posted by lajoy9 on 10/9/2016 at 15:08

Hello there, thanks for your wonderful Website.I have a few questions along my itinary, so please bear with me, even if the post is a bit long. My husband and I will be leaving on January 14 th for 6 months in South East Asia. We planned our itinary based on some of your suggested itinaries but we changed it a bit according to our preferences. First Bangkok then up to Northern Thailand(one month). We cross over at Chiang Khaong. to Laos. Stay in Laos for one month going south to Champasak or Kratie(where is the best crossover town?). We will cross to Cambodge( for 3 weeks). We want to go directly to Siem Riep, but I read that it would be easier crossing going to Phnomp Penh, unless there is a new road built that would be faster now to Siem Riep?

Cambodge itinary would be Siem Riep, Battambag, Pnomp Penh. Then fly to Phuket for one month around the Thai islands.

After, this is where it gets complicated. What is the best way...? We will go either from Phuket to Denpasar (Bali) or Bangkok to Denpasar? Or Bangkok to Yogya? But there doesn't seem to be direct flights. We don't want to pass trough Jakarta. We would like to spend one month in Bali and about 7 days in Yogya. In Bali, we want to go to Jimbaran or Sanur, Ubud, Sidemen, Tirtaganga, Amed, Munduk. Then go to Lombok or Nusa lembongan. There is the visa question also. At first we wanted to visit first Yogya, then Bali but with the flights available it seems it is better to arrive in Bali, leave our luggages at the hotel for the visit to Yogya, then go back to Bali, but it leaves us not enough time to stay in Bali because the one month visa. Any suggestions? What to do?

#1 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by exacto on 10/9/2016 at 16:05

Have a look at the Air Asia website to see if they have flights to the places you want to go. For example, you can fly from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur , and then from Kuala Lumpur directly to Yogyakarta. After you visit Yogya, you can fly on to Den Pasar/Bali. I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,814

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2016 at 16:52 admin

Hi,

For the Laos Cambodia bit, there is just the one crossing, just north of Stung Treng, so that is pretty straightforward - from there you can continue on south to Kratie etc

I'm not sure if regular buses are running across the top to Siem Reap or not, but have asked our writer who did this section and will report back - personally I'd continue south through Kratie, Kompong Cham and Phnom Penh, then west to Battambang with Siem Reap being your last stop -- then fly from there to Phuket (via either Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok, I don't think there are direct flights).

Unfortunately there are no longer direct flights between Phuket and Bali (nor anywhere else in Indonesia for that matter), so, as per exacto's comment, I'd steer you to AirAsia's website.

I'd fly Phuket to KL then KL to Yogya, explore Yogya for a few days, then fly onwards to Bali. When you're done in Bali, fly out from there to KL or wherever your longhaul hub is - if it is Bangkok, there are direct flights between Bali and Bangkok (and also KL and Singapore).

With your Bali leg, the east coast stuff all fits together very nicely, but Munduk is quiet a bit out of the way (from the rest of the places you mention) and you'll be driving for a bit (at least 3 hours one way), so perhaps skip it? With just a month, I'd stick to Lembongan rather than trying to fit in a slice of Lombok as well.

Hope that helps!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by lajoy9 on 10/9/2016 at 17:29

Thank you so much Exacto and Sontam.
I tested what you said with Air Asia and it works out perfectly. So it will be, Phuket to KL. KL to Yogya.
Yogya to Denpasar or the tour with the Volcano that brings you by boat into Bali? What is your advice on that? Sorry if I am not more specific because I read a lot and not all the info has stayed in my brain!
And Denpasar to Bangkok is definitely our hub. After that Bejing(one week) than back home to Montreal on June 16Th.
About the Bali leg, I thought that Munduk was a indeed a bit out of the way. So we leave out Munduk and Lombok.
With your help, we can finish our itinary. Should we book the flight wiht AirAsia now? They said there were only 5 seats left for may 17th....I am a little skeptic but this is our first big trip!

#4 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by exacto on 11/9/2016 at 00:00

If you know what your travel dates will be, then book your Air Asia flights now. As you can see, the flights do tend to fill up, and the prices also get higher as you get closer the the date. Regards.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,814

Posted by lajoy9 on 12/9/2016 at 07:47

Hi Exacto, thanks for your reply. We are still working on the itinary, but we will book these flights very soon.
Cheers!

#6 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by lajoy9 on 12/9/2016 at 10:02

Hi again there,

We are planning the itinary and even though I read about Visas, it is confusing and I would like to know if I got it right. If anyone could please confirm if right or clarify; it would be a big help.We are Canadian citizens.

Leaving from Montreal(Canada) with Air China, layover in Bejing, then Bangkok.

1st month -30 days Visa Exemption visiting Northern Thailand. I understood that in order to get on the plane in Montreal with Air China, we need to have a flight ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days(it could be the cheapest air thicket) . Am I correct?

2nd month -30 days VoA visiting Laos. Arriving from Chiang Khong to Huay Xai. No problem there.

3rd month -30 days VoA visiting Cambodia. Arriving from Don Khon to Stung Treng. No problem there.

4th month -30 days Visa Exemption visiting the Thai southern island. Flight from Siem Riep, layover Bangkok to Phuket. Am I correct?

5th month -30 days Visa Exemption visiting Yogyakarta and Bali. Arriving from Phuket, layover KL, to Yogyakarta.

6th month and less. -30 days Visa Exemption for Thailand. Flight from Denpasar to Bangkok, We stay 3 nights in Bangkok, then flight to Bejing, we stay a week in Bejing( I do not know the requirement for China yet). Then back to Montreal.

By the way; we found that we would like to stay 3 weeks only in Cambodia, 3 weeks only in the Thai Islands, and stay longer in Indonesia. Can we do this by buying a 60 days Visa? I am confused about this part also. Help pleeeease.

And, did I miss anything?

#7 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by northland on 12/9/2016 at 10:28

We just got back from five weeks, three in Thailand and two in Cambodia. We had a great time everywhere but if I could have extended the trip we would have spent more time in Cambodia. We flew into Siem Reap with Air Asia, stayed three days (siem reap rooms, brilliant, great location and the staff is super helpful) then to the homestay at Banteay Chhmar, totally worth it. The hosts were nice, the village is friendly (authentic could actually be accurate) and the temples are very cool.
Battambang, worth a week just to wander around. Few westerners but enough for some food etc to be available when you need it! Stuff to see but town itself is fun. Boat back to Siem Reap is a must.
Bon voyage!!

#8 northland has been a member since 4/1/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by lajoy9 on 12/9/2016 at 10:49

Great info Northland! 5 days were already planned in Battambang but I could add some more. Thanks for the tip Battambang-Siem Riep by boat. I had read it, but will make it a must! Glad you enjoyed your time in Cambodia. Cheers!

#9 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/9/2016 at 17:08 admin

Hi,

On your visa question:

1st month - Yes, in theory they can ask you for a ticket out of the country, but in practise they often don't. When I flew in last month they didn't ask me for anything.

2nd month -Correct
3rd month -Correct
4th month -Correct
5th month -Correct
6th month -Correct

Yes, if you want to stay longer in Indonesia, you have two main options:

a) Buy a visa on arrival. This is valid for 30 days, but can be extended at any immigration office for a further 30 days.

b) Get a tourist visa beforehand - this is valid for 60 days on entry. Given you're routing, I;d get it in Bangkok.

#10 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by lajoy9 on 12/9/2016 at 17:57

Hi Sontham, and thank you for the reply. I am glad I was correct. This is a great relief for me. I still have some questions though...From where did you flew in last time? I read they were more strict in Canada. Also,I don't know how strict Air China would be. This is a new route for Air China Montreal-Bangkok.. They send us email in chinese....regarding our flight. Have you heard of anyone who flew with them? How strict would they be?
Where in Bangkok can we get the tourist visa for 60 days? Why not at the embassy in Canada? Is it cheaper to get it in Bangkok?
Looking forward for an answer.
Regards, Lajoy

#11 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/9/2016 at 19:34 admin

I flew in from Kuala Lumpur. I fly to Thailand regularly (a few times a year) and have only been asked for an outbound ticket once in the last ten years.

You can get an Indonesian visa at the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok, but yes, you could also get the Indonesian visa in Canada.

#12 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by gecktrek on 13/9/2016 at 00:29

hey, one thing to bear in mind in regards to the indonesian 60 day visa (i got one last year), is you only have something like 90 days (perhaps you can check this with your local embassy) once the visa is issued before you need to arrive in indonesia to activate it... so getting your visa in bangkok might be your best option? i hope this makes sense...

#13 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171

Posted by lajoy9 on 13/9/2016 at 07:39

Hello and thank you both for the clarifications. Yes it makes sense. I guess we would have to plan and stay in Bangkok on our 4th month (after Siem Riep), get the 60 days Indonesian Visa there, then flew to Phuket.

How long would it take to get the Visa issued in Bangkok?

#14 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by SBE on 14/9/2016 at 05:54

Usually it takes 2 days... eg if you apply for visa on Monday morning, you can collect it on Wednesday afternoon. Applications need to be done in the mornings, visa pick up is only in the afternoons. (Can't remember exact opening hours off the top of my head but they're only open for an hour or two in the afternoons ... check opening times).

Consulate is open Mon-Fri except if there's a Thai or Indonesian public holiday.

Simplest and most comfortable way to get there would be in a metered taxi. The nearest BTS stops are a bit of a walk away but handy bus routes that go past the embassy include #2 and #511.

#15 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Posted by MrTravelslot on 16/9/2016 at 05:20

This is an really interesting tour you have planned laloy9.

By reading through these comments on this thread I had a question too, so I just signed up to this site and don't know if there are any threads regarding my upcoming questions already so please don't mind me asking here:

If I apply for an visa let's say at the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok for an Indonesian Visa, which documents are 100% important to be taken with me on my travel?

I am asking this because I just got out of HS and I want to go to SE Asia in january too for about 4-6 month, but I don't have as much experience with all this documenting stuff. I will start at Vietnam which I need a Visa for (if I am informed correctly at least) and I guess I have to apply for the Visa in my home country already which is Germany btw.

Much talk less sense I guess, does it make more sense to get visas for the neighbouring countries of Vietnam such as Cambodia Malaysia, Thailand etc. in asia directly ?

I am not much of a structured guy, I am more kind of spontaneuous, thats why I also didn't plan a route as perfect as in this original thread here (you have my admiration for that laloy9). so I can't really say how long I am gona stay where.

I hope u are still with me because my thoughts are a confusion.

Best regards MrTravelslot and I hope someone can help me out

#16 MrTravelslot has been a member since 16/9/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by lajoy9 on 16/9/2016 at 08:14

Thank you SBE for the reply. Cheers. Lajoy

#17 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.