Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Ticket buying - HELP! :)

Posted by andreagarcia07 on 13/9/2016 at 08:17

Hi! This is my first post. In November my boyfriend and I are embarking on our SE Asia adventure for 1.5 months, and I am confused on how to buy the flight tickets.

We have already bought them for Indonesia and Japan, but then we are planning to go to Thailand (Bangkok & Krabi), Myanmar (Mandalay and Bagan), Vietnam (Hanoi and Danang), Laos (Luang Prabang) and finally Philippines (Palawan).

Should I buy the tickets in advance or leave it flexible? Tickets are already relatively expensive and the route is very dependant on Bangkok.

Any advice you can share with me, I would be extremely grateful!! I am going crazy with so many cheap air carriers and websites.

Thank you!!

#1 andreagarcia07 has been a member since 13/9/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by SBE on 13/9/2016 at 18:53

You're going to be there in high season and flights are usually cheaper booked in advance but in your case I'd stick with the ones you've already got and wait to see if you actually have time to do anything else.

If you want to book flights now you need to have worked out detailed logistics and know the exact dates you'll be flying and judging by your crazy itinerary wish list I suspect you haven't done that yet. There's no point pre-booking flights that you'll more than likely have to cancel due to exhaustion and lack of time.

When you've only got 6 weeks it's best to stick to one or two countries, three at a pinch. Even if you fly as much as possible, you're still going to be spending quite a bit time on ground transport. (eg It takes a minimum of 5-6 hours to get from the airport on Palawan to El Nido and you'll have to do that tiring road journey twice). Do you really want to spend 80% of your holiday on planes and buses? Every time you fly somewhere you basically waste a whole day of your vacation, even if it's just a short domestic flight ... once you've checked in and out of hotels, got to and from airports, hung around the airport departure hall and waited for your bags to arrive it doesn't leave much time for sightseeing that day. International flights with a transit stop somewhere are worse of course.

Also rushing around to tick off a list of "must see" sites is the most expensive way of travelling, not just excessive transport costs, you're also going to be wasting one month visa fees just to see one or two places in a country. If you slowed down, it would be a far richer travel experience and you'd probably save the cost of another return flight from your home country as well. The places you want to see are still going to be there next year and the year after that so unless you're planning on dying soon you can always come back for a second trip to see the places you missed this time.

If you think you'll never ever be able to take another 6 week vacation and don't care how much it costs, then maybe post your planned itinerary to see if other people think it's physically doable... remember to factor in things like tropical heat, ground transport logistics and occasional bouts of sleep.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.