Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Finding best places to capture amazing photos in Mekong delta

Posted by lisajknapp on 17/9/2016 at 04:56

Hi there!
Friends and I intend to travel some places in Mekong delta like Tram Chim, floating markets to take nice photos, by the way, we wanna have a joyful time in Ho Chi Minh city and Phu Quoc. Anyone know which is best sights to shoot nice photos? We found that boats and even small boats are main vehicles when visiting there but we have no idea about price for each one. Any advices for us ? Thank in advance.

#1 lisajknapp has been a member since 16/9/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/9/2016 at 17:09

Hi Lisa,
There are lots of nice photographic sights in the Delta, especially around the floating markets.
If you head down to the waterfront in any of the Mekong Delta towns, you'll be deluged with offers from boatmen (and their representatives - don't assume the person you speak to will necessarily be the person you go out with. In my experience often one person who speaks good English will try and get customers, then hand you over to a colleague with no language skills).
You'll be able to quickly judge how much they typically ask for, then just negotiate down a bit, but don't get too hung up on whether you're paying "the right" price or not. In the end, it doesn't really matter if you ended up paying $1 or $2 more than someone else for the same 3 hour boat tour, as long as you have an enjoyable experience.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/9/2016 at 04:04 admin

Well what a smorgasbord of Vietnam travel agent spam that thread became. All banned, including the OP.

Thanks for wasting my time and of course thanks for wasting antoniamitchell's time as well who made the effort to answer the question.

Morons.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/9/2016 at 04:18 admin

Actually, a better way to approach this is to point out that you absolutely 200% do not need to use a Vietnam-based travel agent (or any travel agent for that matter) to do any of this.

Places like My Tho Ben Tre and Can Tho are all easily visited independently by bus from Saigon and once you are in whichever town, it is straightforward to organise a boat out onto the river. Early morning and late afternoon will offer the best lighting conditions, A third option, Sa Dec which is near Vinh Long (and is where scenes from The Lover were filmed) is also very photogenic.

If you're not so interested in river scenery, Ben Tre has some excellent rice fields for those classic rice field working shots.

Most importantly though, there is no reason to engage the services of any travel agent to do any of this - especially the one the opening poster up top is trying to push through at least five fake accounts, and is doing the same on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree.

I guess it says a lot about how good your business is when you have to rely on fake posting from shyster forum spammers rather than relying on real travellers to recommend your services.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.