Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

One way ticket to south east asia

Posted by fishinwater on 9/10/2016 at 14:57

Hi guys, this may be a commonly asked question here but im looking for experience on the matter.

SO, in January I plan on buying a one way ticket to Bangkok and travel around south east Asia until I either get tired of the journey or when I run out of money.

Now, my problem here is what kind of problems will I run into with immigration, in the case that I wont have an exactly detailed plan on how long I will spend in each country. And I am not sure how it works with the different countries and if I can't enter one of them because I don't have a plane ticket out of the country on a specific date. I would like to take as much buses and trains as possible around.

I have heard that when in Thailand you should buy a cheap ticket out of the country with Air Asia so you have something to show when entering the country. But is this what I HAVE to do in my situation, and what is the process in the other countries I list of below.

I ask here because this is the sort of trip that is pretty common, so hopefully some of you can give some insight on what I should do.

I plan to go these countries with room for change:

Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and possibly Burma and China.

Thanks for any help I can get!

#1 fishinwater has been a member since 9/10/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/10/2016 at 16:36 admin

In theory, Thai immigration requires an onward ticket out of the country. In practise they're unlikely to ask for it.

What is more likely to be a possible problem is your inbound airline refusing to let you board without a ticket out of Thailand. Jetstar is a common one for this.

This seems peculiar to Thailand as I've not heard of visitors to most of the other countries you mention (no idea for China) being asked for an onward ticket.

So you don't have to do anything - though your airline may kick up a fuss, or, less likely, immigration may ask.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Posted by antoniamitchell on 9/10/2016 at 18:37

Hi,
Just a note for Somtam: when my parents flew in Singapore from Canada a few months ago (on Cathay), they were denied check-in at the airport because they only had a one way ticket. The Cathay staff had to quickly sell them an onward ticket before they could board their flight.

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 569

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/10/2016 at 19:34 admin

Really?! Into Singapore? I've never ever heard of that happening. How strange. I didn't know that was even a requirement for entering Singapore...

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Posted by amnicoll on 10/10/2016 at 06:36

Nationality?this may make a difference to what is said here

Read up for each country but for thailand for your inward leg either get a visa or a throw away ticket (when I looked anything that was able to be cashed in had more expensive cancellation charge

laos and cambodia have basically simple entry at border for one month but check the current vietnam deal as for some nationalities you can get 15 days but for longer or other you need to do in advance

No idea on China or Myanmar

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.