Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Travel from Siem Reap to Ho chi minh

Posted by ruaille on 10/12/2007 at 14:16

Could someone tell me if there is a train available between Siem reap and ho chi ming, how long does it take, how much is it.
Which airlines fly between the two?
Would people recommend flying or overland travel?
Thanks

#1 ruaille has been a member since 10/12/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by jimsparadise on 11/12/2007 at 20:24

I'd just take the bus--very cheap. Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, where I would definitely spend a few days if possible, then PP to HCMC by either bus again or overnight cruise on Mekong. All Guesthouses in PP can arrange your visa within 2 days and transportation. River area of PP is great and backpackers converge on the nearby Lake area. Good luck

#2 jimsparadise has been a member since 25/11/2006. Posts: 30

Posted by shelld on 23/12/2007 at 19:13

I'd like some info on travelling from PP to HMC via the Mekong Delta.

Cheers

#3 shelld has been a member since 23/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by Sok on 24/12/2007 at 11:18

You can buy ticket at Phnom Penh Port (where there is a Titanic Restaurant) to go to HMC but i would recommend you to take bus from Phnom Penh to HMC. If you come and stay one night at Phnom Penh, pls don't forget to try Frangipani Villa (www.frangipanihotel.com) where you can enjoy charming room and a nice service. Good Luck

#4 Sok has been a member since 19/12/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by shelld on 26/12/2007 at 17:49

Thanks for your post Sok, but I'm really keen on seeing the Mekong Delta & I've read a few good blogs about leaving PP to HMC via boat with an overnight stay. I'm trying to cram 25 days of traveling thru Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam on a semi tight-arse budget. I'd love to hear anyione's suggestions:-)

#5 shelld has been a member since 23/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/12/2007 at 18:31 admin

Hi shelld,

The route from PP to HCM is a fast or slow boat to Chau Doc then a bus connection either direct to Saigon or onwards into the Delta. I'd suggest the latter, Can Tho is a fave of mine because of the floating markets (there's not much info about them of Travelfish because I forgot to add it in, may do next few days). Can Tho is a good base, because there's a choice of floating markets and the town itself is quite interesting and fun.

Given your time constraints, I'd suggest from there straight to saigon, but if you were looking for an alternative, Vinh Long is pretty good...

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ruaille on 27/12/2007 at 14:29

Hi everyone,
The boat trip from PP to HCM sounds good. Can anyone give me any details on what time of day the boat leaves PP and when you can expect to arrive in HCM city. Does the trip take 1 day or 2? do you have to stay overnight in Chau Doc? Do you have to get your visa before you get on the boat?
Thanks

#7 ruaille has been a member since 10/12/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by shelld on 28/12/2007 at 21:59

Many thanks Somtam! This trip is just a teaser for me, I hope to spend more time on my next trip. I've read a couple of blogs about cruising thru the mekong delta (1 or 2 nites) to HCM that are pretty affordable. Do you have any suggestions? Again, thank you!

Cheers

#8 shelld has been a member since 23/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2007 at 09:46 admin

Ruaille:

The boats leave Phnom Penh in the morning -- 8ish from memory -- and will get you to Chau Doc by mid afternoon. If you want to push onto HCM the same day you'd be looking at an evening arrival, which is why most opt for at least an overnight stay in Chau Doc.

You need your visa beforehand (recommend getting it in Phnom Penh) - visa on arrival for Vietnam is not available.

shelld:
Any travel agent in Phnom Penh will be able to sort you out on these trips. There's quite a variety - one night, two night, three night and more. Generally the cheaper it is, the more time you're spending in a bus rather than on a boat. So I'd lean towards going for one that involves as much boat time as possible -- who wants to se a river delta from a minibus!

#9 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by shelld on 29/12/2007 at 15:50

Once again, thanks Somtam. And I'd definately rather see the delta from a boat! Any advice on guest houses in Siem Reap & PP? And how do suggest we travel from Siem to PP? Can you do this also by boat?

Cheers

#10 shelld has been a member since 23/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2007 at 16:27 admin

For accommodation listings, see the relevant sections within the site -- they're all independent reviews by us -- not paid adverts etc.

Guesthouses in SR
Guesthouses in PP

You can do SR to PP by boat, it's worth doing once but the bus is far cheaper and more comfortable. See the relevant sections for details on pricing, schedule etc.

#11 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.