Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Any input greatly appreciated

Posted by alfr on 27/10/2016 at 03:02

Hello,

Im a 24 year old student from Puerto Rico and around the beginning of March 2017 I will be traveling to SEAsia for the first time with one friend. We are completely open to anything, however we would like to incorporate the following in our trip but have had a difficult time arranging it logistically:
Bangkok
Chiang Mai
Songkran(be in Thailand for that time)
Gibbon experience
Vang Vieng
Slow boat
Siem Reap
Angkor Wat
Phnom Penh
Hanoi
Halong Bay
Sapa
Hoi An
Saigon
Motorcycle the general Ho Chi Minh trail (whether it be N/S or S/N) (any advice as to what motorcycle to buy in the area for resale later would be greatly appreciated as well. Since she will ride with me I imagine we will need something much more powerful and sturdy than a win. Also I'm used to riding a 85' Honda Magna 500 so the power would be very welcome)
Mekong Delta
Phuket
Phi Phi Island
Koh Phangan
Full Moon Party
At least a 2 day trek up a mountain
We would be traveling from either Los Angeles, California or Shanghai, China. Would like to do the trip mostly on land after we arrive in the region(if possible all). Are open to any volunteering, adventure, and thrilling experience. I would have to be in Boston, Massachusetts by the 12th of May or at the very latest 13th in the morning for my brothers graduation. Thanks to all in advance.

#1 alfr has been a member since 27/10/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/10/2016 at 19:42 admin

That is quite a trip! How long are you planning or is it open ended?

This sample regional itinerary pulls together a lot of what you are thinking about, so it may be a useful starting point for your planning.

This page on VietnamCoracle will be useful for your motorbike questions.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Posted by exacto on 29/10/2016 at 19:56

Starting in early March and making your way back to Boston no later than mid May gives you about 10 weeks. I'd say you've got far too much planned for that time. If you don't believe me, write out your itinerary with all the stops you have planned, and figure at least a half day to a full day each time you move. I think you'll be surprised how quickly those weeks fill up.

You might consider a slimmed down itinerary, and the most obvious place to cut would be Vietnam on this trip. The Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia portions you have planned will still be plenty busy, but workable. Start with the sample itineraries Somtam mentions above, and go from there. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.