Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Visa Exemptions, and onward travel. Please help!

Posted by Brightmaw on 13/11/2016 at 14:53

Hey everyone!

I've now gathered that proof on onward travel IS required when using the 15 day visa exemption to enter Vietnam, much like Vietnam and Myanmar.

Regarding Vietnam in particular, does anyone know if this proof can be a bus booking, or has it got to be a flight booking? I found on the Thailand embassy website that any method of departure is fine, but there must be a booking.

Only one site has suggested departure from Vietnam can be by any means. However, having emailed them, they are now unclear as to whether a bus booking HCMC to Phnom Penh, in Cambodia is sufficient proof of onward travel.

It's all very frustrating!

Thank you in advance :)

#1 Brightmaw has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/11/2016 at 02:11 admin

Guessing here ... but I would assume a bus ticket out would be fine - plenty of people legitimately leave Vietnam in that manner so I would assume so. But, like I said, guessing!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by Brightmaw on 14/11/2016 at 02:16

5. Brightmaw 17m
Thanks for replying!
I have emailed the Vietnam Embassy a few times regarding this, and I only ever get a stock response that makes no mention of proof being required, let alone what form that proof should take.
However, I have read and spoke to a significant number of folk now who tell me proof on onward travel IS required. Most recently someone told me they had to book a flight at immigration icon_eek.gif
I've posted this question on some other forums, including LP. It seems any form on onward travel is fine, but best print it out. Electronic tickets are sometimes rejected by immigration officials at the boarder.
It's odd that this information doesn't seem widely known!
Phill

#3 Brightmaw has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/11/2016 at 02:28 admin

Right. I think part of the problem, is this is often left to the discretion of the immigration officer. In theory you're supposed to have an onwards ticket when entering Thailand on a visa-free entry, but in practise I've only ever been asked once in a decade.

I think, generally, if you are a legitimate tourist, and the immigration officer has no reason to raise an eyebrow, then probably no problem, but, yes, your mileage will vary!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.