Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Hangout in SE Asia?

Posted by alarcher on 14/12/2016 at 17:32

Just retired @ 60 so we have plenty of time but not heaps of cash.

I'm looking for some suggestions for laid back destinations that are cheap so we can stay there between other "must do" destinations. I guess flash packer describes us but a comfortable bed, fan & ensuite suit us. Beach is good but we also like the moutains and rivers. We are Australian if that matters.

Thanks in advance

#1 alarcher has been a member since 7/3/2016. Posts: 10

Posted by exacto on 14/12/2016 at 20:38

Congratulations on your retirement.
With unlimited time, limited cash, and a sweetie in tow, I'd start my search by looking at the following:
Trat, Thailand. Good town with a few different markets and a jumping off point for Ko Chang, Ko Maak, etc.
Nong Khai, Thailand. Along the Mekong River across from Laos, with a lovely riverside promenade and solid value for money. Also a good starting point to explore other Mekong towns like Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan (as well as cross into Laos, of course).
Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand. Southern Thai beach town. Romance and excellent sea food.
Gili Air, Indonesia. Wonderful BBQ. Find an out-of-the-way hut to relax and settle in.
If I knew what your other interests are and what those must see locations were, I could suggest a few other nice places to dig in for a week or so, such as Phimai, Thailand; Ayutthaya, Thailand, and Sukhothai, Thailand. Personally, I like Chiang Mai, Thailand as well as Yogyakarta, Indonesia, and you might get a kick out of Phetburi, Thailand too. Victoria Bitter won't be easy to find in any of these places, but a Bintang or a Chang or a Beer Lao will do you nicely.
In any case, have a look at the descriptions and accommodation listings on Travelfish and let us know what you think. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by alarcher on 14/12/2016 at 21:37

Thanks exacto

We have done holiday's in SE Asia over the years 1st 1980 to Bali most recent to Sabah this year so I'm reasonably confident on getting to the destinations we want to. It's the long term travel that is new to us.

Trat seems like a great suggestion, haven't been there or there abouts. I have spent a little time in Laos and would love to spend more time there so those Mekong towns sound good. sounds like Thailand has plenty to offer. Other mainland beach places are good suggestions.

I spent some time on Gilli Trawangan in 1986 so going back there might be a let down and with the short visas for Indonesia I think staying in one place for long might be difficult. Sumatra and West Nusa Tenggara are on the must see list so get priority.

We are much more interested in natural beauty and local culture than the man made tourist spots. Being able to communicate with people is a definite advantage, so maybe some expats? The lack of VB is a positive particularly if Beer Laos is on offer, but relatively cheap beer is a high prioity (one reason why Malaysia is not high on our list)

More suggestions?

#3 alarcher has been a member since 7/3/2016. Posts: 10

Posted by exacto on 14/12/2016 at 22:47

You should find a good expat scene in Hua Hin, Thailand. For natural beauty, have a look at Vang Vieng, Laos, now that it has calmed down a bit from the party-til-you-puke days. For local culture, I like the Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Sukhothai triangle. That gives you a few more ideas for your travels.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by alarcher on 15/12/2016 at 00:48

So many good suggestions for Thailand!!

I was in Vang Vieng about 10 years ago so it's probably different now. The scenery is great so worth another look, southern Laos is is on the list!

Cheers

#5 alarcher has been a member since 7/3/2016. Posts: 10

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.