Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Advice welcome for 3 month itinerary

Posted by JCoco on 5/1/2017 at 02:32

Hey guys,

I'm planning my first solo backpack trip to SE Asia between mid September and December this year. I'm trying to put up a traject through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I don't want a complete set up schedule but looking for something to fall back on so I don't have to look up everything while I'm there.

I'd start with a few days in Bangkok before heading up north to possibly Ayutthaya and then stay 10-14 days in Chiang Mai to explore the region.

From there to Laos and Luang Prabang, but here is where I could use some help. I'm a bit stuck between either fully exploring Laos, or do the more main stuff(Vang Vieng, Vientiane) in Laos before heading to Vietnam. I've heard a lot of love-hate stories about Vietnam so I'm hesitating. The more fast schedule through Laos would be like a maximum of 20 days there?

If I'd go to Vietnam I think I'd take the bus from Laos to Hue and go to Hoi An, Nha Thrang, Da Lat etc and end in HCMC before heading over to Cambodia. In Cambodia I'd aim to spend about 2 weeks or 2 weeks and a half. After that it would be back to Bangkok to possible spend some time relaxing in the South before heading back home.

I guess my main question is, do you think doing all four countries is too much in 3 months? If so, would you recommend doing Laos or Vietnam? I like getting to know places instead of rushing by, but of course I also want to avoid wasting too much time. As for my interests, I'm mainly someone who enjoys nice scenery and a laid back atmosphere. I don't mind cities but that'd have to be a small part of the trip.

I hope this rant is somewhat clear, if not I can provide more information.

Thanks in advance!

#1 JCoco has been a member since 5/1/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by Purplehayes on 8/1/2017 at 06:31

I haven't been yet and am working on my own itinerary ( in reverse due to my dates being march-june and the weather patterns- i have been told that you could spend an entire 3 months in just one of those countries, but I've also read and been told that 3 months is a pretty good amount of time explore all 4!

Hope that helps a little! :)

Dana.

#2 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11

Posted by alarcher on 16/1/2017 at 00:27

JCoco, I think you have answered your own question, if you like getting to know places then leave one out this time and come back and see it properly. Speed of travel is a VERY personal thing so judge by your own wishes.

It's easier to see Laos from Thailand than Vietnam and it is my favourite country (well maybe Burma, I can't decide) so I would say go Laos.

I did not think much of Cambodia (other people love it) so I would say save some time there. You must see Siem Reap but there are better beaches and more pleasant people in my opinion. If you only go to Siem Reap then can be accessed from Thailand or Laos.

You could easily spend your time in Thailand, Laos and Siem Reap, and if your up for something different a short trip into Burma. Vietnam deserves more than a quick look.

Remember, there is always next time!

#3 alarcher has been a member since 7/3/2016. Posts: 10

Posted by JCoco on 16/1/2017 at 03:42

Thanks for the replies.

I'll soon make up my mind and just go for it, I'm very curious to see all these different places.

Cheers!

#4 JCoco has been a member since 5/1/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.