Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Backpacking 6 months - Itinerary

Posted by kel on 6/2/2017 at 00:28

Ahoy fellow travellers.

My partner and I are currently planning a 6ish month trip to South East Asia, from Jan 2017 anywhere up early September 2017.

Planning the itinerary to make sure we avoid terrible weather is proving to be difficult as I really want to travel quite slowly but I don't want to stay in one place too long and miss all the good weather! I'm hoping someone with a litttttle more experience than I, might be able to give us a few tips!

So far, I'm thinking;

Arrive Bangkok - 1 week (early Jan)
Mayanmar - 2 weeks ( mid Jan)
Northern Thailand - 3 weeks (late Jan/Feb)
Laos - 2 weeks (late Feb)
Vietnam - 4 weeks (March)
Cambodia - 2 weeks (early April)
Thailand Islands - 3 weeks ( late April-May)
Malaysia - 4 weeks (late May/June)
Singapore - 3 weeks (June)
Indonesia - 8 weeks (July-August)

I feel like certain places may be rushed but I wanted to make sure we got back to the islands for April/May because I've heard any later than that and we really risk not so great weather.... and I really don't want to skip Mayanmar!

I've also heard 8 weeks in Indonesia will be easy to fill due to how big it is so.... I'm thinking it looks like a lot, but maybe not?

Anyway, I've done a bit of research but, as i'm sure you guys know there is a LOT of information out there and I would love to hear from people who have actually done it/have the experience! I have no shame in admitting I am a total rookie ;) ha-ha.

Thanks guys!!
PS. If anyone is actually planning SE Asia for 2017, would love to hear from you! :)

#1 kel has been a member since 6/2/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 6/2/2017 at 06:10

Hi there,

I'm likewise a little confused about starting in Jan 2017 - wondering if you mean 2018?

3 weeks in Singapore is a lot for a small city state - I live here and I'd struggle to fill that much time. I'd suggest you cut that back and add extra time to burma.

Also, Cambodia will be very hot and dry in April. It's not really the best time to visit.

I'd suggest you skip burma in the beginning of your itinerary and head from Bangkok up to northern Thailand. Then you'll get to Cambodia a little earlier and hopefully not get quite as hot. By the time the April hot season is over full swing, you'll be in the islands.

You can then swing onto burma during the summer - yes, you'll be into rainy season by then, but early rainy season isn't particularly bad (there are plenty of articles on this site about rainy season travel ). Plus after months of heat and sunshine, some variety in the weather can be a welcome break!

Another benefit to starting with Thailand is that it's a very easy country to be a tourist in. Burma is a bit more challenging (read frustrating), so as you're new to this, you'll be giving yourself an softer landing.

Happy travels!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 569

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.