Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Rules for entering Thailand and other SE Asia countries

Posted by dansam8 on 13/3/2017 at 04:55

Hi, i've been planing to backpack south east Asia and I have a problem that my travel agent doesn't seem to be able to solve.

problem: As I understand it I need a return ticket out of Thailand or any country for that mater, before I am allowed to enter (obviously to prevent someone from needing to be deported) however I would like to travel between Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos over a period of a few months. How would I enter each country without a ticket home within the visa expiration time.

Plan: To fly to Thailand from South Africa and move down to Malaysia and Indonesia over land(mostly and sea). From there I would like to travel up to Cambodia Vietnam and Laos maybe also Myanmar, I would like to travel over land to save money but I have heard that reentry into Thailand might be a problem. After that I might go to Mongolia for a week or two to visit my dad before flying back to South Africa. Otherwise I'll fly home from where ever I am.

Other info: Im from South Africa, Im 18

Any information or general advise will be greatly appreciated.

#1 dansam8 has been a member since 13/3/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 13/3/2017 at 09:19

Not correct. The reality is that the immigration authorities don't care - I've never been asked for proof of onward travel. It's the airline that will fly you to Asia from south Africa that may care, because they're paranoid about costs (if the immigration authorities were to reject you for whatever reason, the airline would have to fly you home at their expense). So you'll potentially need to show a return ticket for your airline to fly into Thailand (some airlines are more paranoid than others, so you can check their reputation), but once you're in Asia no one's going to care.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 569

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.