Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary Advice- 5 weeks on mainland SE Asia

Posted by lsmith0017 on 15/3/2017 at 00:38

Hello, I've been reading a lot of advice about traveling through SEA and I put together a tentative itinerary. A friend and I (each in our late 20s) will be traveling from mid-June to late July. We've been living in the Caucuses for the past 2 years and are taking the long way home. Any advice on the itinerary would be great. I know each country could be it's own trip but with 5 weeks we wanted to get a good overview of the mainland section. Additionally, any advice on places to stay and things to do would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Day 1 Arrive in Bangkok
Day 2 Bangkok
Day 3 evening flight from Bangkok to Hanoi
Day 4-5 Hanoi
Day 6-7 Halong Bay
Day 7 night Train to Hue
Day 8 Hue
Day 9 Bus/Train from Hue to Hoi An
Day 10-11 Hoi An
Day 12 Fly from Hoi An to Ho Chi Minh
Day 13-14 around Ho Chi Minh
Day 15 Bus/Boad to Phnom Phen
Day 16-17 Phnom Phen
Day 18 Bus from Phnom Phen to Siem Reap
Day 19-21 in Siem Reap
Day 22 Siem Reap to Bangkok
Day 23-24 Sites around Bangkok
Day 25 Fly Bangkok to Chiang Mai
Day 26-28 Chiang Mai
Day 29 Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai
Day 30 Slow Boat Chiang Rai to Pakbeng
Day 31 Slow Boat Bakbeng to Luang Prabang
Day 32-33 Luan Prabang
Day 34 Fly from Luang Prabang to Kuala Lumpur
Day 35-37 Kuala Lumpur
Day 38 Fly from Kuala Lumpur to USA

#1 lsmith0017 has been a member since 14/3/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 15/3/2017 at 01:38

For things to do just read up the relevant a sections on this excellent site we are not mind readers and can not guess what might be of interest.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by exacto on 16/3/2017 at 12:09

There is a good deal of general information on the Travelfish site on the locations you plan to visit. A quick read through will give you plenty of suggestions on the fun things to do at each location.

Looking at your itinerary, I'm more concerned that you are trying to cram too much into the time you have. I understand the wish to see as much as you can during the 5 weeks you have, but in my opinion, you are spending nearly half of your time getting to and from places and very little of your time actually exploring them. Just remember that getting to and from the hotel and the bus/train station/airport takes time, checking in and out of the hotel takes time, and transport is slow throughout the region.

I recommend you take a hard look at the time you have and the places you really want to see, and visit about half of the cities you've listed. Otherwise, this trip will be a whirlwind tour of Southeast Asia's transportation venues and will turn into an endurance contest right quick.

I hope that helps. Have a good trip. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,833

Posted by DLuek on 19/3/2017 at 07:52 TF writer

Agree with the above - I'd suggest slowing things down a bit. Otherwise you'll have a lot of exhausting transport and not enough time in any one place to experience anything more than the most surface layers. Maybe just add a full week in one place in the middle of your trip - you'll most likely need it regardless.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.