Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Cell phone during 4.5 month trip through SE Asia, East China, Japan

Posted by Lamar on 23/12/2007 at 16:33

Hello all!

I've spent hours pouring through your posts. This is my first squeak as part of the big wheel of travelfish Q and A. I caught the recommendation to bring along an unblocked cell phone to Thailand and purchase a SIM card upon arrival, but I'm planning what appears to be a more extensive trip. I will be arriving in Bangkok mid-January (wow! coming up soon!!) and departing Tokyo late May. In between, I want to experience several of the SE Asian highlights. Should I bother with a cell phone at all? I am predisposed to the thought that the expense is not worth the trouble. I really appreciate the your guidance and all the other helpful posts I've come across!

Happy Holidays and Happier travels!

#1 Lamar has been a member since 16/12/2007. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/12/2007 at 08:30 admin

Hi Lamar,

Glad to hear you've found the site helpful.

You can by an unblocked cell phone in Bangkok for as little at US$50 -- probably even less if you shop around, and prepaid sim cards come in as little at 100B denominations. For the convenience of being contactable, I think it's a pretty good deal.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Yorron on 27/12/2007 at 14:59

Hi Lamar

I brought my locked Motorolla RZR with me. go it unlocked in Bangkok (MBK Shopping mall, thev 5th or 6th floor is full of mobile phone shops), and also got there a SIM card. Very cheap!!!

I'm heading now to Cambodia and then Vietnam and Laos. I was told the Thai phone will work in all these countries, but I'll know or sure once I'm there. Even if it won't work there, it was still a worthy investment; Being available for your loved ones to call you is great (free incoming calls with a FREE one-year plan), not to mention that calling to book your next guesthouse is much more convenient from your own cellphone.
If the Thai SIM won't work in other countries, I'll just get a local one in each country. That will mean a new phone number but expense wise I think it will be very cheap.
Good luck

#3 Yorron has been a member since 22/11/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.