Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

URGENT - What's the deal with Visas?

Posted by WanderlustTJ on 20/3/2017 at 12:48

Hey, myself and two friends have booked a SINGLE flight to Bangkok on the 5th April. We intend to spend about two weeks in Thailand, then two weeks in Cambodia, and finally two weeks in Vietnam.

What type of VISAs do we need for each country? Can we get them on arrival at the country's airport/land border, or do we need to apply for them before we even board the flight? How much will each one cost?
All three of us are British citizens with UK passports.

We have no proof of onward travel (and booking a ticket only to cancel it later... would that work with only airlines, or with buses/trains? as we'll be moving between land borders most of the time).

Am I correct in saying that with Thailand, all we need to do is get on our flight to Bangkok and then, once in Bangkok, we should be within the VWP lines and so we won't need to pay/apply for a visa?
And then the same again for Cambodia?
But with Vietnam we need to apply for a visa beforehand, I know that much... But can we do this at the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok once we are there?

This is quite urgent, as we're trying to make sure everything is ready and set before we leave in two weeks. Please help!

#1 WanderlustTJ has been a member since 20/3/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 20/3/2017 at 20:23

In Thailand you get agree 30 day exemption, in Cambodia you pay $30 at the border (although some might ask for more) and check out if the 15 day visa exemption for Vietnam is still valid but otherwise you will need to sort out something ask specifically this question on Vietnam forum as I am not up to date.

You may well have a problem boarding plane in Uk with no onward travel so get to the airport early and allow time if necessary to buy a throw away ticket - good idea to do some research in advance so you know what flights are cheapest

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 21/3/2017 at 07:24

Wiki has it covered pretty well...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Cambodia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Vietnam

* Thailand visa exemption 30 days free of charge. Only issue can be boarding the flight from UK. POOT (proof of onward travel) may be required at airline check-in.
* Cambodia is easy visa on arrival $USD30, but be prepared for extra "fees" at land borders.
* Vietnam if for only 2 weeks go visa exempt free of charge. If any longer (up to 30 days) check out the new e-visa option.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,931

Posted by Mariana64 on 21/3/2017 at 08:45

Yes, i think the 15 day visa exemption for Vietnam it´s valid .

#4 Mariana64 has been a member since 21/3/2017. Posts: 1
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.