Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand vs Vietnam in September/October

Posted by apbryant on 30/3/2017 at 17:41

Hi Everyone! My boyfriend and I plan to travel to Southeast Asia from the US in September or October 2017 for about 10 days. I would LOVE to visit both Vietnam and Thailand, but realize that is not enough time to fully enjoy both.

We are thinking about choosing one or two towns in either country for adventure/sightseeing/history and then traveling to a beach or island for some water activity and relaxation. While I have experience traveling in Southeast Asia and want to see the authentic culture, my boyfriend feels more comfortable with structure. We'll be traveling on a mid-range budget.

Any advice on which country would be better as far as bang for your buck/ease of travel/weather/enough structure for him but enough authenticity for me?

I greatly appreciate your suggestions!!
Paige

#1 apbryant has been a member since 28/3/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by ParchedKiwi on 10/5/2017 at 19:11

Hi there!

I'm no expert but while planning my own trip it looks to me that sept/oct will be better weather wise in Vietnam while it's right in the rainy season for Southern Thailand. Northern thailand should be fine then though. So really your only worry should be where you're going to get your beach time in :)

Here's a cool site where you can search by country and month.

http://www.selectiveasia.com/indonesia-holidays/weather/october

#2 ParchedKiwi has been a member since 6/4/2017. Posts: 6

Posted by exacto on 10/5/2017 at 23:28

I am definitely biased in favor of Thailand, but I still think Thailand is a better choice for a 10-day trip.

First off, good on you for recognizing that you don't have enough time to visit both countries.
Second, I think Thailand is just easier to get to than Vietnam. Plus, once you get there, the infrastructure is top notch but at budget prices.
With 10 days to spend, you might consider a few nights in Bangkok, then head off to Ayutthaya for a few nights, over to Kanchanaburi, and then off to either the Gulf-side islands (Samui, for example) or pehaps even Ko Samet, as it is closer to Bangkok. Hua Hin or even Prachuap Khiri Khan is also an option.
You can comfortably get all that in during a 10-day visit, and it should meet both your need for authenticity while meeting your partner's need for structure. Mid-range budget should make things very comfortable for you in those destinations. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.