Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Traveling to SEA in Oct-Nov - Where to?

Posted by emeve on 1/4/2017 at 08:00

Hello, my boyfriend and I are planning to travel to South East Asia for the first time in Mid-October/November. We would like to spend 3 weeks enjoying nature, beaches, culture and good food. We don't want to stress ourselves traveling from one place to the other every few days, so ideally we travel to no more than 3 or 4 locations and from there do so some day trips. Although this might be hard on certain locations, we would like to avoid as much as possible very touristic and crowded areas.

We've been looking at different countries (Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar, Laos, etc) but is really hard to choose one destination. Any particular areas that we should avoid (for example I read that monsoon season is around that time in some regions) or that we should consider? We would be very thankful for any tips!

#1 emeve has been a member since 1/4/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 3/4/2017 at 15:03

Take a look at the Travelfish Itineraries section. It will be a great start to figure out where you might like to visit, what is close to where, and most importantly, how long it might take to get from A to B. Once you have that sorted, you can come back with more specific questions about your plans.

You'll find it at: https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner

Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,847

Posted by emeve on 4/4/2017 at 05:24

Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look there :)

#3 emeve has been a member since 1/4/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 4/4/2017 at 14:34

I tend to recommend Thailand for a first trip to Southeast Asia, as the country is a bit easier to navigate than the others, has really good infrastructure including transportation, and checks most if not all of the boxes people mention they want in a holiday (such as nature, beaches, culture and good food).

One idea would be to fly into Bangkok, and after getting settled for a few days, visit Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi before heading south or to the eastern seaboard and Ko Chang for the beaches and nature portion of the trip. You are smart to keep to just three or four locations during your three weeks, as any more than that would mean too much time travelling and not enough doing. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,847

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.