Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

2 week trip in SE Asia - looking for feedback and recommendations!

Posted by mnkypants on 20/4/2017 at 12:14

Hi there! My boyfriend and I will be traveling around SE Asia for 2 weeks in July. We have a sample itinerary but are not sure if it's doable with the amount of time that we have, and if we're hitting the right spots. We are in our 30's and aren't really into the party scene, but would like to go out for a casual drink some nights. We'd like a mix of city, nature, beach, temples and villages during our trip. Another thing to consider is that I have mobility limitations, meaning I have a tough time walking far distances, so I'd like to make sure it's easy to get around each place whether it's a walkable location or I can catch a ride easily. Here's what we have so far:

Day 1 Arrive in Bangkok at 11:25PM

Day 2 Go to Ayutthaya during the day, go out in Bangkok at night

Day 3 Depart Bangkok, go to Chiang Mai

Day 4 Chiang Mai

Day 5 Depart Chiang Mai, fly to Koh Sumai and take ferry to Koh Tao (maybe there's another island that is easier to get to? Want to stay away from crowds and party scene)

Day 6 Koh Tao

Day 7 Koh Tao

Day 8 Koh Tao

Day 9 Depart Koh Tao, fly to Siem Reap

Day 10 Siem Reap

Day 11 Depart Siem Reap, go to Hoi An (fly into Da Nang)

Day 12 Hoi An

Day 13 Depart Hoi An, fly to Luang Prabang (this last stop is set as we are meeting friends there)

Day 14 Luang Prabang

Day 15 Luang Prabang, evening flight to Bangkok

Day 16 Depart Bangkok at 6:40 AM to US

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#1 mnkypants has been a member since 19/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by flijten on 20/4/2017 at 15:10

Well I understand the urge to visit a lot. A lot of places, a lot of countries. Toally. Get. It.

But....

This will have you holed up in airplanes , boats and buses continously. The only downtime would be koh tao. You want too much into too little time. I'd seriously scrap at least 2 countries and half the destinations

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 57

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 20/4/2017 at 20:25

I second the recommendation that this is far too much to do in only 16 days. If it were me, I might do something like this instead:

First - Koh Tao. You could take the ferry from Chumphon. If you wanted something closer to Bangkok, you could try Koh Samet (it gets really busy on Thai holidays and weekends), but Koh Chang would likely be too rainy.

Second - Make your way to Chiang Mai . You could do a stopover in Ayutthaya en route and catch the overnight sleeper train from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai (as many backpackers do). There are good side trips from Chiang Mai too like Chiang Dao or Lamphun.

Third - Make your way to Luang Prabang to meet your friends before flying back to Bangkok.

That's still a busy itinerary, but much more comfortable than what you previously suggested, and still gives you a good mix of cultures and styles. I hope that helps. Good luck.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,755
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by mnkypants on 24/4/2017 at 10:56

Thank you both! We are now looking to cut a few places from the list.
@exacto - you mentioned that Koh Chang may be too rainy, but does the same apply to Koh Samet as they don't appear to be very far away from each other?

#4 mnkypants has been a member since 19/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 24/4/2017 at 12:09

Even though they are relatively close together, Samet typically gets significantly less rain than Chang. You can see for yourself using the animated weather map at this link:

https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

The advantages of Samet are relatively close to Bangkok and easy to get to/from, and lots of modern conveniences. However, as mentioned above, it can get pretty busy on weekends and holidays, and won't have that Robinson Crusoe feel that other places might.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,755
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by mnkypants on 24/4/2017 at 12:23

Very helpful - thank you!!!

#6 mnkypants has been a member since 19/4/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.