Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Southeast Asia Itinerary Advise

Posted by samlock0106 on 28/4/2017 at 08:05

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Southeast Asia for next year around June time for approx. 10 weeks and was hoping for some advice on the route / activities etc.

I will be going with 1 mate of mine and maybe another, we are interested in nature a lot so lots of great high-point views and national parks, but then we want the nightlife as well, especially in thailand as well as culture and history.

Please let me know for any advice on how long we should spend in each place.

Vietnam:

- fly to Hanoi
- Ha Long Bay cruise
- Pu Mat National Park?
- Hue
- Hoi An
- Da Lat
- Ho Chi Minh City (Mekong Delta cruise)

Cambodia

- Phnom Penh
- Angkor Wat

Thailand

- Bangkok

Flight to Malaysia

- Kuala Lumpur
- Perek?
- Penang
- Langkawi

Thailand

- Ko Lipe
- Ko Phi Phi
- Phuket
- Khao Sok National Park
- Ko Pha Ngan
- Koh Samui
phetchaburi / kanchanaburi?
- Bangkok

Would also really like to see Chaing Mai / Rai if possible although it seems like a lot of effort to go out the way to Northern Thailand.

Also any advice on transport would be appreciated.

Thank you.

#1 samlock0106 has been a member since 28/4/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by Ranger29 on 1/5/2017 at 05:26

Good Day

My wife and I recently completed a six week stay in the region and travelled to many (we did not go to Malaysia) of your planned destinations as part of our "retirement" trip. We are fairly confident travellers, having spent the past 25 years exploring the world, but felt that it would be good to have a contact in this part of the world. We started by working with Lenny from Expat Holidays Thailand and got some great ideas from him (both on his web-site and by communicating with him directly). He made many of the travel arrangements (transportation and lodging) for us. I believe that the cost of our trip was not any higher by having him do this for us.

We would have liked to have spent more time in almost all of the locations that we travelled to, so 10 weeks will accommodate that.

Vietnam: We did virtually your exact route. 4-5 days in each of Hanoi and Saigon should do. A couple of days in the other locations. I would travel by private van or motorcycle through the Hai Van pass as well. The scenery was fantastic. 2 night-3 day cruise on Halong Bay is our recommendation. Long way to travel for anything less.

Cambodia: 3-4 days in Phnom Penh is good. Siem Reap/ Angkor Wat (2-3 days). Do the Sunrise Tour of Angkor Wat. We had a private driver and guide at Angkor Wat which was well worth it and this was taken care of by Lenny.

Thailand: Bangkok was our home base. We travelled back and forth there several times. Probably 5-6 days is good enough there to see most things. City always seemed to have something going on at night. Do not miss Chang Mai/Rai. We had a great time in these areas. No need though to visit the Golden Triangle though, as it is very commercialized. We visited the Islands for about 5 days for some down time. That was enough for us.

We did also travel to Laos, and stayed in Luang Prabang for 3 days. I would recommend this, as it was one of our favourite places. It is great for exploring the outdoors (See the link below)
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Guide-g295415-k754-Luang_Prabang_Luang_Prabang_Province.html

All for now, good luck and have a great time.

Rob

#2 Ranger29 has been a member since 15/1/2016. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.