Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

VISA requirements

Posted by warren100uk on 21/5/2017 at 10:46

Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend will be going to Southeast Asia for 6 months in September.

We super excited and just now looking at visa's. We will be flying into Singapore and flying back to the UK from Cambodia, these flights are already booked. We will travelling to:

Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Laos
Vietnam
Cambodia

We will not be spending more than 30 days in each country and have looked online on the visa's needed but getting different info on each. The main issue we have is that for the visa's, you need to be able to show on wards travel out of the countries. We want to travel overland and not fly to each place so will not have these as we may get a train bus etc but want to decide depending on were we end up.

Does anyone have any tips or info for each country on visa's?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

#1 warren100uk has been a member since 21/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 22/5/2017 at 03:14 TF writer

Immigration officers and regional airlines don't generally check for proof of onward transport, so you should be fine once you're in SE Asia. Nothing is 100% sure and some embassy websites do state that you need to show proof of onward transport to enter the country, but that's extremely rare at border checkpoints within the region.

However a problem could come in the UK when you check in for the long-haul flight to Singapore -- the airline may not let you board unless you can show proof that you'll leave Singapore (usually they want to see a flight ticket) before the duration of the visa-free stay expires. They may not ask for this; it's a grey area and you never know (for me they've checked on about half of my 10 or so flights to the region over the years, though usually I fly to Bangkok). If they ask, you could show them your ticket from Cambodia back to the UK and explain your travel plans.

If that doesn't work, worst-case scenario would be that you'd have to buy a cheap ticket from Singapore to, say, Kuala Lumpur, from a budget airline like Air Asia or Tiger, just to provide the proof. Personally I wouldn't book that in advance unless you decide to fly from Singapore into Malaysia. I would however allow for an extra half-hour at the UK airport in case you need to arrange it using your phone on the spot.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.