Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Hunting and Foraging in SE Asia

Posted by ForagerGirl on 30/6/2017 at 09:41

My partner and I are planning on traveling to SE Asia this November for a couple months. Our ideal experience would involve witnessing lots of wildlife, hunting/trapping and foraging, and interacting with locals who also hunt/trap/forage for subsistence. We're not the kind of travelers who care about restaurants, temples, bars, partying, etc. Would rather spend as little time as possible in the cities. We both have experience with backpacking and wilderness skills in the United States, and are prepared to travel out of a backpack and camp along the way wherever we go in SE Asia. Does anyone have any advice on how we could make our dream become a reality? We're visiting Thailand for sure, and hopefully also the Philippines. Cambodia, Malaysia, and Indonesia also interest me. I understand that foraging and hunting are expressly illegal in the National Parks in Thailand, which is why I'm hoping for a way to meet locals who would be interested in hosting me such that we could hunt/forage together without breaking any laws. For whatever reason, there are an abundance of YouTube videos displaying traditional fish hunting/trapping in the rice paddies of Cambodia. Would it be weird to just message the people who post those videos and see if I could come hang out and learn from them?

#1 ForagerGirl has been a member since 30/6/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 3/7/2017 at 06:04

why not go out with the rangers in the forests and see how they protect it

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.