Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City

Posted by jackie66 on 3/1/2008 at 01:51

Hi,
On leaving Siem Reap we plan to visit Phnom Penh, Kampot, Kep and Koh Tonsay. We then want to spend a few days on the Mekong Delta and a couple of days at Ho Chi Minh City. Could you please give us some advice on this itinerary, as we are not sure of the best way to go. We have the following specific questions:

1 If we go straight to the vietnamese border from Kep, is it best to cross at Ha Tien or at Chau Doc? Is there onward transport at Ha Tien?

2 Would you recommend that we book our own Mekong Delta trip from Chau Doc via Can Tho, Vinh Long etc to Ho Chi Minh City, or that we travel from Chau Doc directly to Ho Chi Minh City and book an Mekong tour from there?

I'd appreciate your views on this or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks
Jackie

#1 jackie66 has been a member since 2/1/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/1/2008 at 06:31 admin

1) Yes there's onwards transport from Ha Tien to Rach Gia and beyond. If you're entering at this border, don't forget Phu Quoc Island -- it's lovely!

2) If you're entering at Ha Tien, there's little point in going up to Chau Doc to start a tour -- I'd be inclined to roll your your, perhaps head to Can Tho or Vinh Long -- in both those towns you can organise tours to the floating markets (in CT) and homestays on the river and another floating market (in VL). Once you're done, continue on to Sgn.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,563
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jackie66 on 5/1/2008 at 00:27

Hi somtam2000,
Thanks for your advice. Would you recommend we go to Phu Quoc as well as Koh Tonsay? How do they differ? I fear we might feel a bit beached out doing both.

Are there any homestays on the Mekong Delta that you would recommend?

Thanks
Jackie

#3 jackie66 has been a member since 2/1/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/1/2008 at 06:28 admin

Tonsay and PQ are very different islands. The former has nothing but a few shacks and some crab huts while the latter, aside from being about twenty times the size, has around 40 hotels, bars, restaurants etc and loads more to do.

Homestays are best done out of Vinh Long -- the tourist office or perhaps your guesthouses should be able to assist.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,563
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Guernseystu on 11/1/2008 at 17:09

I would recommend that you stop off at Tay Ninh on your way from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City. There you will find an impressive Cao Dai temple and it is possible to watch one of the ceremonies from the upper level. It is all quite bizarre and you should read up on this religion (cult?) before making your mind up. It is an experience that I have never forgotten.

#5 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Posted by vuh on 25/1/2008 at 17:15

Hello Jackie,

If you stay few days in Ho Chi Minh Ville, I highly recommand to go to the Con Dao Archipelgo, it is a real pearl of Vietnam: wonderful countryside with almost no tourist, awesome wildlife.
The sole negative point is hotel is quite expensive if you are a backpacker. The cheapest double room is 23 USD.
If you need more information, feel free to ask me.

Have a nice trip

#6 vuh has been a member since 1/5/2007. Posts: 24

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.