Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Beach Resort Easily Accessible from Bangkok or Hanoi

Posted by Oliviawj11 on 17/7/2017 at 12:54

Hi all! My husband and I are traveling to Bangkok and Hanoi (with a two-day tour of Halong Bay) for our slightly-belated honeymoon mid-November. We have set aside 3-4 nights of our trip to spend at a beach resort somewhere - a few days in Hanoi was my husband's request, but a few days relaxing on a beach is super important to me.

I feel pretty confident that we can fit a trip to an island or resort town into our itinerary, but because we're already spending a fair amount of time traveling during our approx. two-week trip, I'm looking for a place that is pretty easy to get to. My brother recommended Ko Kut, but that involves a flight to Trat, then transport via ferry/speedboat, then transport to the resort... you see where I'm going here. Someplace like Nha Trang or Phu Quoc sounds more appealing because we can take a direct flight there from Hanoi and don't have to take a ferry.

Can anyone recommend a destination and/or resort that is easily accessible from Hanoi or Bangkok? A beautiful, clean beach is my #1 priority, with good food (fresh and tasty, not necessarily "fancy") preferably in a fairly quiet location (bustling nightlife/partying is not on the agenda).

Thank you!

#1 Oliviawj11 has been a member since 16/7/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 18/7/2017 at 00:52 TF writer

The only islands that can be reached by a direct flight from Bangkok are Ko Samui and Phuket . Both are large and very popular but with some quiet beaches. November is rainy season on the Gulf (east) side, so between the two, Phuket on the Andaman Sea (west) side would be a better choice. If you go there, just make sure to research it so that you don't end up staying at one of the really busy / noisy / seedy beaches like Patong.

Personally, with 3-4 nights, I'd go for one of the "fly and ferry" all-in tickets available through Nok Air, Air Asia and Thai Smile Air. These make it pretty easy to hit any of several islands on the Andaman Sea side that I like better than Phuket, such as Ko Kradan, Ko Ngai , Ko Lipe and Ko Lanta. Yes it means having to spend an extra couple of hours transferring from the airport to the pier and on the ferry itself. But I think that's worth it, and I often enjoy the ferry rides. And because it's an all-in ticket, airline staff just points you to where you need to go -- no need to deal with travel agents and such. 5 days / 4 nights would work out well, giving you three full days on an island. 4 days / 3 nights makes it tighter but still worth it, I think, for the two full days of beach time. I've done trips of that length several times to islands on the Andaman Sea side from Bangkok with friends and family and have always had good experiences. No matter where you go, you'll have to spend much of two days on either end in transit, so you might as well just pick the best island that can be reached in a single day. That's the way I look at.

Any of those four islands mentioned above are ideal for a honeymoon. Kradan would be my first choice for a quiet and romantic holiday with an incredible beach and some great day trip options, including the Emerald Cave on Ko Muk. Lipe and Lanta are both great for beaches and day trips, and better for some nightlife and dining, but they are busier and the ferry situations more of a hassle. Doing the fly and ferry to Kradan, for example, entails flying into Trang's tiny airport, transferring to a van for a 40-minute ride through rubber plantations, and then a leisurely and very scenic cruise on a longtail boat which pulls up directly on to the white sand when you arrive. Seven Seas Resort on Kradan is a good option for a honeymoon splurge, and Reef Resort is a solid choice in the midrange budget. Ko Ngai also has some good midrange options.

Another option is Ko Samet, which is the closest island with good beaches that can be reached in roughly five to six hours from Bangkok via a bus and ferry ride. It's not a bad island but the ones mentioned above are considerably better, in my opinion, and with the fly and ferry options they can also be reached in roughly the same amount of time, all up, from Bangkok. I can see why people would suggest Ko Chang and Ko Kut because they are closer to Bangkok than the Andaman Sea islands, but they actually are more of a pain to reach in many cases. The only beach resort areas that are really easily accessible from Bangkok (two hour drive) are Hua Hin and Pattaya -- and I really would not recommend either. Same goes for Nha Trang; it's just not that nice.

Otherwise, regarding Vietnam, Hanoi is so far north of Phu Quoc and other islands so I assume Bangkok is better for launching an island trip.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,345

Posted by Oliviawj11 on 21/7/2017 at 12:15

Thank you, this is very helpful! Unfortunately, Reef Resort on Ko Kradan is already booked for our planned dates of travel, but we'll look into Ko Ngai and the others.

#3 Oliviawj11 has been a member since 16/7/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.