Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary feedback

Posted by smartcar8 on 15/8/2017 at 10:15

Hi, My wife and I will be in SEA in Jan/Feb. 2018 and I have taken my first attempt at an itinerary. We are in our late 50’s and fairly active. We would like to see 3 countries but don’t want to be too rushed. Still deciding which Thai Islands we will visit.We are going to go mid-range and will do a combo of self-guided and guided along the way. Would love any feedback, thanks!

27-Dec Flt to Hanoi

28-Dec Hanoi

29-Dec Hanoi

30-Dec Hanoi

31-Dec Bus to Dalat 7-8 hours

01-Jan Dalat

02-Jan Dalat

03-Jan Bus - Daalt to Nha Trang 3 hours

04-Jan Nha Trang to Hoi An Flight

05-Jan Hoi an

06-Jan Hoi An

07-Jan Hoi An to Hue Bus 4 Hours

08-Jan Hue

09-Jan Hue

10-Jan Fly to Hanoi Flight

11-Jan Hanoi

12-Jan Hanoi

13-Jan Fly to Siem Riep Flight

14-Jan Siem Riep

15-Jan Siem Riep

16-Jan Siem Riep to Luang Praban Flight

17-Jan Luang Praban

18-Jan Luang Praban

19-Jan Luang Praban

20-Jan SLOW BOAT TO CHANG M

21-Jan SLOW BOAT TO CHANG M

22-Jan CHIANG MAI

23-Jan CHAING MAI

24-Jan Chiang Mai

25-Jan FLY or TRAIN TO Bangkok

26-Jan Bangkok

27-Jan Travel to Islands

28-Jan ISLANDS

29-Jan ISLANDS

30-Jan ISLANDS

31-Jan ISLANDS

01-Feb ISLANDS

02-Feb ISLANDS

03-Feb ISLANDS

04-Feb ISLANDS

05-Feb ISLANDS

06-Feb ISLANDS

07-Feb ISLANDS

08-Feb ISLANDS

09-Feb ISLANDS

10-Feb ISLANDS

11-Feb ISLANDS

12-Feb ISLANDS

13-Feb Bangkok

14-Feb Bangkok

15-Feb Fly Home

#1 smartcar8 has been a member since 15/8/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by Megaworldasia365 on 28/8/2017 at 23:43

Hi,
Looks like a good itinerary. Having lived in the region for 20 years and travelled extesively throughout the 4 countries on your list I feel I have the experience to give you a few tips.
1. The time of you've picked for travel is probably the best as it's the dry season. However in Hanoi and north Vietnam it is cold in January. Take a jacket and woolen hat as day time temperatures can be down to 11 deg C. In fact other places such as Luang Prabang and Chiang Mai can be cold overnight in January.
2.Give yourself 4 full days in Siem Reap and reduce your island time by 2 days, otherwise you will regret not allowing more time for the incredible historic temple sites of Angkor and surrounds. There are many sites to visit and having only 2 full days will feel rushed. You can buy a 3 day pass at the Angkor Archaeoligical park office for approx USD 30 per person, so why not make full use of it. There are some must do's when there: dawn at Angkor temple (next to the pond). It gets very crowded so you need to be there at 4.30 AM to get a good spot. The black silhouette of the Stupas agaimst the dawn colours aren't to be missed.
3. The Islands. Avoid Phuket as its the peak of the high season on Jan/Feb. It's overcrowded with Chinese tour groups, its expensive and chaotic. Samui is good although it's the tail end of the wet season so expect some rain. A suggestion: take the train from Bangkok south to Hua Hin (4.5 hours travel time). The weather and beaches in Hua hin are excellent in Feb. Hua hin is a mid range tourist destination with mainly independent type travellers going there. It is also close to two of the best national parks in Thailand - Sam Roi Yot and Kui Buri. Kui Buri is the best place in Thailand to see herds of elephants in the wild. Day trips can be easily arranged for both places from hua hin. After hua hin, take the train down to surat thani then get on the ferry and go across to the islands of koh tao, phangan, and samui. For more info on the above mentioned locations, check out my travel blog: megaworldasia dot com - south east asia off the beaten track.
Safe travels
Mega

#2 Megaworldasia365 has been a member since 26/8/2017. Posts: 20

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by smartcar8 on 29/8/2017 at 06:25

Thanks for the reply I'll definitely check out your blog.

#3 smartcar8 has been a member since 15/8/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.