Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Scooter from Danang to Siem Reap

Posted by lockieoz on 15/5/2018 at 06:49

Hi there
I am thinking of buying a scooter in Danang and going via the back roads to Siem Reap. My research tells me that it is ok to take a Vietnamese plated scooter into Cambodia. I am an experienced rider and I have a scooter here in Australia where I ride a couple of times a week. Can anyone give me any more info on this? How are the roads etc? Any help would be help.

#1 lockieoz has been a member since 15/5/2018. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 16/5/2018 at 06:41

I know this subject if the the particular route has come up before so have a google but this may help

https://www.nomadasaurus.com/crossing-the-border-motorbike-southeast-asia/

I know people cycle this (give or take) so roads not likely to be a problem in themselves but what route would you take.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 903
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by lockieoz on 16/5/2018 at 06:46

thx for the reply. I too have seen this site. Totally understand that cyclists take this route so I too do not think that it could be too hard by scooter. only problem is that I am yet to hear from someone who as actually done it. The site that have the cyclists route also say that from time to time they travel by bus etc. Hopefully it will be ok...

#3 lockieoz has been a member since 15/5/2018. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 16/5/2018 at 06:50

I think they take the bus more for convenience/time saving than the roads themselves.

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 903
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by flijten on 16/5/2018 at 13:37

Take into account that your scooter at home is probably a bit less powerful, scooters in asia are generally able of much higher speeds. Not saying you won't be able to drive them, but unless you have a motor licence too, you're probably not insured.

#5 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 68

Posted by gecktrek on 16/5/2018 at 16:05

hey, sounds like a great trip, i don't know about the border crossing rules, why not try a site like;

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/

perhaps they can help there?

#6 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 147
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.