Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Mobile phone while travelling

Posted by ruthytunes on 7/8/2018 at 11:25

My partner and I are soon due to set off for long term travel (minimum 12 months) round South East Asia. Destinations include India, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia.

While we don't feel the need to be constantly contactable we would like to be able to call each other when the need arises, call family in the UK and have online access.

Does anybody have recommendations of mobile options?
Ideally we would want one number we don't need to keep changing from one country to the next and as we don't plan to be doing paid work while on the road it needs to be affordable!

Thanks in advance for any advice

#1 ruthytunes has been a member since 1/6/2018. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/8/2018 at 00:51 admin

I tend to just buy a sim card in each country as I arrive, but then I use WhatsApp to keep my main normal number. So, as long as you and your partner get a local sim with data, you should be able to use WhatsApp with your original numbers unchanged.

If you don't have WhatsApp (or are not using a smart phone) I guess I'd say still buy the local sims on arrival and just update your contacts in the phone so you can still reach each other.

Hope this helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.