Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Dog/Cat meat in SE-Asia

Posted by Shining on 26/11/2018 at 11:32

Hi guys,

we are planning our next trip to SE-Asia next May, and we were thinking bout Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia or so. The thing I am not sure bout anyway is the visibility of dog and cat consumption.

Don´t get me wrong. I am moraly ok with animals beeing eaten, though I myself are vegetarian. To me it is equally ok if someone eats cow or chicken or dog. I am totally aware that consumption of dog/cat meat is a thing in many countries (I´m an archaeologist, I even excavated slaughtered remains of dogs in Germany).

But there are lots of shoking articles and videos showing torturing of cats and dogs for consumption. And to me it would be hard to deal with the view of grilled dogs, cat parts or cages filled with these critters for consumption. I already had a hard time in Udon Thani seeing pet puppies sold in cages. I don´t wanna judge people, but I don´t want to be confronted with it in my holiday, so this would be a reason to me, to exclude a region off my list.

Valid information bout this topic anyhow is scarce, it ranges between sensational made up stuff and totally unprecise.

So, share your experience: Have you ever seen dogs or cat beeing sold/slaughtered/cooked/grilled/eaten in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos or other parts of SE-Asia? Or is this something invisible for travelers?

#1 Shining has been a member since 13/8/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by flijten on 26/11/2018 at 13:02

I've spent time in all countries in south east asia and I've only seen dog meat once in about 10 months. This was somewhere in Ho Chi Min City and didn't involve horrible sights. It was simply whole roasted dogs on display as one would also see whole chickens displayed every once in a while. Apart from that single day I never saw dogs or cats. In general I do feel respect for animals is lacking, kicking a random dog pretty hard is not something that seems to be frowned upon, but consumption wise I didn't see loads. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen by the way, but in that case it is mostly out of sight.

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 74

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by daawgon on 26/11/2018 at 17:40

The average tourist will never encounter what you describe. You will see "thit cho" or dog meat signs along roads in the north of Vietnam, but you really have to go out of your way to find "the view of grilled dogs, cat parts or cages filled with these critters for consumption". I've been coming here since 2008 (and lived here for the past 2 years) and only saw this once in person.

I too am a BIG dog lover, and dislike this practice, but I also respect the customs of the country in which I live. You do have to realize that at one time Vietnam was so very poor the country was starving - I am told this was how the consumption of domestic pets started. I am also very concerned with the theft of domestic pets for this market as well as the lack of pet vaccination!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,158
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 27/11/2018 at 04:44

Whilst I agree that the average tourist will probably not encounter this aspect of Vietnamese life you may see dogs in the market and you may come across restaurants/stalls selling dog.

However at the end of the day you are unlikely to see much that would differ with the way they treat and eat other meats and fish. Standards are not the same as in the west so you either go with the flow or avoid

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 934
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by neharani on 28/11/2018 at 21:09

Tourist will never see this if they visit popular area's.

They have to go out of the way to see such glimpses and eating a Chicken or a Dog is the same ... if you are a Non vegetarian , difference is that we PET a Dog and Eat chicken frequently .

#5 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 44

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.