Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Carbon offsets

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/7/2019 at 00:42 admin

A question for Travelfish readers.

Do you buy carbon offsets for your flights? I'm looking into it at the moment and am wondering about calculating them? I already know the project I want to support, but I'm trying to get a handle on how best to calculate the offset—the calculators I’ve found online are pretty vague on the details.

For instance, are the amount tonnes affected by the type of aircraft or how full the flight is?

Your thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,015
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by rjhintz on 16/7/2019 at 22:15

Considered, but haven't done. I guess my concern is how much of what I'd spend on this actually offsets my travel. I started looking into this, but the details got complex fast.

For calibration, I probably fly maybe 100K miles/year, so it's a factor.
--
Rich

#2 rjhintz has been a member since 16/4/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 8
 Send rjhintz a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/7/2019 at 23:53 admin

Right. Likewise I've looked at a few times and got bogged down in the complexity of it.

The amount of money seemed low, say a Bali KL flight would come in at about $5ish, but just trying to get a handle on it.

Have a friend here (in Bali) who runs a biogas organisation working with local rice farmers, and this seems to be the kinda scheme the offset programmes often support. So am thinking of suggesting he add a thing on his donation page where people can donate to his organisation in an offset equivalent.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,015
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by rjhintz on 17/7/2019 at 00:26

First I don't understand the math of the derivation of the amount that's supposed to offset my personal travel.

I can see donating to something like the biogas organization, but realistically I don't know if it's offsetting 1%, 100%, or 1,000% of my travel.

I thought about looking for academic papers on this to see if there's some intellectual underpinning or if it's just wild guesswork. Maybe I'll look again. If you find anything credible, I'd be interested.

Nothing wrong with just donating to an organization that intuitively offsets, of course. I might just end up doing that. I have to admit I've felt guilty about this for a while.

#4 rjhintz has been a member since 16/4/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 8
 Send rjhintz a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.