Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Posted by dazm26 on 31/1/2008 at 00:33

Hi folkes,

Just a quick question but whats best to take, USD or Sterling travellers cheques to change in SE ASIA, im going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore!

#1 dazm26 has been a member since 28/9/2007. Posts: 19

Posted by exacto on 31/1/2008 at 10:51

Hi Daz!

I'd just take whichever denomination was easiest to get, which, since I'm guessing you are in the UK, means Sterling. I've typically travelled with USD-denominated TC's, but that is only because they were easier to get where I was at any given time. Even so, from my observations, people typically don't have any trouble exchanging Sterling in the places you'll be travelling.

Since you'll already be losing a bit of money in the exchange from TC's to local currency, I don't see much reason to exchange your money into USD just to change it into something else.

I usually travel with less than 10% of my travel budget in TC's anyway, carrying a bit of cash as well and typically drawing the rest from ATM's during my trip. As long as you have an ATM card with a 4-digit PIN code, you should be able to do the same, particularly since the places you'll be visiting have well-developed ATM networks. (Check with your bank for network availability and fees.)

Hopefully someone with experience travelling with Sterling-denominated checks will chime in here too.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.