Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Where should we splurge treat ourselves to nicer accomodations - thailand, vietnam or laos?

Posted by nateyu on 28/2/2008 at 08:59

Hi,

We are traveling to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Hanoi, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City in June.

While we plan to travel on a backpackers budget, for one of the locations we would like to splurge a bit on accomodations. I'm not necessarily asking for a reccomendation on the best, most ritziest place we can stay, but more looking for a place that will wow us but also not break the bank.

Thanks!

#1 nateyu has been a member since 30/10/2007. Posts: 9

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 30/3/2008 at 03:59

Hi, I dont think your question is very clear. Where are you looking for a hotel and what is your budget?

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by daawgon on 13/6/2008 at 22:06

I can only speak for Vietnam, as my trip to Thai/Laos is still in the planning stage. In Viet, I stayed mainly in guesthouses ($9. to $16.), but in Saigon I splurged on the really nice Bich Duyen Hotel @ $25. in the Pham Ngu Lao, and in Hanoi at the really super Gia Thinh Hotel @ $35. in the Old Quarter. Both hotels, while only rated at 2-3 stars, were cleaner, friendlier, nicer* than American hotels which charge $150. a night.

*both with super excellent staff and food (Gia Thinh even had new DSL computer in-room)

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.