Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Location Hunt: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam?

Posted by Py on 22/3/2008 at 16:14

Hi there,

I'm going backpacking this summer (july-august) for the very first time with a friend of mine. Seeing as how we have no experience at all we'd rather not run into many problems and therefore we'd like to avoid the rain as much as possible. Rain is a criterium in deciding where to go, so we were wondering in which country it rains the least (if there even is such a place). I've read that Vietnam would probably be the best to visit during this time (least rain) but I don't have too many references to validate this info. So if anyone could help us out a bit, that would be great (since you guys seem experts and all). Thanks!

#1 Py has been a member since 22/3/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/3/2008 at 19:46 admin

What are you interested in? Islands, national parks, cities, chillign out, paties etc etc -- with some more info from you, I can make some useful suggestions.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Py on 23/3/2008 at 22:52

We're looking for a good mix of everything. We really appreciate nature, good vieuws, stuff like that. Cities aswell, but only the one's worth seeing, or a few local villages are always nice to see the locals. But I think that every country has good things to offer. Getting around and keeping ourselves amazed shouldn't be such a problem, keeping ourselves dry, that's the challenge. So, where would you reckon would be the best to visit during wet season?

#3 Py has been a member since 22/3/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by natwest on 28/3/2008 at 17:50

Do u realise that the summer is rainy season in the entire SEA? So for less rainfall maybe u could try a landlocked country like Laos, cos I know Thailand n VN rains a lot. My experience with Thailand (Phuket) is that it rains very regularly and regular timings too. Around afternoon everyday, it bounds to rain for a few hrs. So the best place to avoid the rain is indoor. Don't worry too much its only a few hrs and the air is much fresher after tha rain.

But I guess hanging around the city during rain time would be a bit better than the beach or hill.

I think u can see plenty of villages on your way to your next destination.

#4 natwest has been a member since 6/3/2008. Location: China. Posts: 24

Posted by Py on 30/3/2008 at 06:15

What about this: Where would you go (choosing from those 4 countries) if you only had one month, wished to travel cheap and easy (using public transportation) and yet get a beautifull variety of things (culture, nature, etc.)?

We're flying from Belgium so either way the cheapest airline ticket would be to Bangkok seeing as how it is the closest to us. Are flights from Bangkok to nearby countries expensive?

#5 Py has been a member since 22/3/2008. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.