Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Mailing Packages

Posted by andysch on 4/5/2008 at 12:06

Hi, I will be spending two months traveling through Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand. I am backpacking so I won't have room for a lot of extra goods. However, I am very exciting to shop and am thinking it would be best to mail things back to USA. Is sending packages home easy? Is if fairly inexpensive? I am assuming it may take a few months, but the packages will arrive arrive safe and sound, is this correct?

Thank you!

#1 andysch has been a member since 1/4/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by SBE on 4/5/2008 at 12:30

I recently sent a box of stuff back to Europe by surface mail from Thailand. I used the post office rather than a private firm. They said it would take 2-3 months to arrive but in fact it only took 6 weeks. No damage at all. Roughly 10kgs and it cost me a little over 2000B.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by exacto on 5/5/2008 at 07:48

We mailed a package back to the states from Nong Khai, Thailand, on our last trip. The package took about two months to arrive. It was a bit beat up on the outside, but the contents were fine. We paid about the same rates as SBE on a kilo to kilo basis (Our package was a bit smaller). It worked out well for us, and the cost of the postage was inexpensive compared to carrying those items with us for the next four weeks. Regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.