Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed

Posted by randy_from_canada on 8/5/2008 at 22:28

In the early planning stages of our Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos vacation. We know this is very ambitious. However, this is our second time in the area and will not be including Thailand beaches in our itinerary. Also, time in Cambodia will be spent with girlfriend's relatives (also been there before)

D1: Dec 20 - Depart Canada
D2: Dec 21 - Late night arrive in BKK
D3: Dec 22 - BKK, see only what was not seen 1st visit
D4: Dec 23 - Ealry flight to PP
D5: Dec 24 - PP
D6: Dec 25 - SR
D7: Dec 26 - SR
D8: Dec 27 - SR/Return to PP
D9: Dec 28 - 6hr Bus to HCMC
D10:Dec 29 - HCMC
D11:Dec 30 - Flight to Phu Quoc or Nha Trang
D12:Dec 31 - Phu Quoc/Nha Trang
D13:Jan 1 - Phu Quoc/Nha Trang & return to HCMC
D14:Jan 2 - Lost Day - Fly from HCMC to Chiang Mai
D15:Jan 3 - Chiang Mai
D16:Jan 4 - Trekking North Thailand
D17:Jan 5 - Trekking North Thailand & return to CM
D18:Jan 6 - Fly to LP
D19:Jan 7 - LP
D20:Jan 8 - LP
D21:Jan 9 - LP
D22:Jan 10 - Return to BKK
D23:Jan 11 - Return to Canada

I would extend our trip, but alas vacation time here in Canada is pretty slim comapred to other parts of the world!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#1 randy_from_canada has been a member since 8/5/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by packtoofull on 15/5/2008 at 12:20

Sorry, I missed this question...

OK a few suggestions:

If you decide to go to Phu Quoc -- book your accommodation and flights now. Not tomorrow, now.

I'd drop Chiang Mai off the trip completely, fly from Saigon to Luang Prabang and do your trekking either from there or spend the extra time heading north to Muang Ngoi, Nong Khiaow.

The reason I suggest skipping CM is that at best you're going to get a 2-day trek and, well, it may not be the most satisfying experience. (See this trekking story for more info) If you're planning on going to Luang Prabang anyway, you'll probably get a more "untouristed" trekking experience there.

And yeah, ask the boss for another week off work!

More questions, ask away!

#2 packtoofull has been a member since 16/5/2007. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 39

Posted by SBE on 15/5/2008 at 13:18

Agree fully about skipping CM and doing the trek out of LP!

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.