Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

My itinery! first time traveller...

Posted by ee104 on 25/5/2008 at 22:59

Hey guys!!
Firstly i am loving the site, seems like the answer to most questions are here! However, as there are a few experts here i thought id stick my plan up and see if ther are any glaring errors...

starting in Nov
Bankok - Chaing Mai --- whats the best way to do this part?
chiang MAi - chiang khong
mekong river - to Laos/Luang Prabang -- how easy is this part in terms of border crossing? cheap?
FLY L.Prabang - Vientianne
Vientianne - Ninh Binh along HCM trail -- not sure about this leg at there any better way of getting to Hanoi from Vientianne? Maybe skip Vientianne and fly from Luang Prabang to Hanoi?
Hanoi - maybe Halong bay? is it worth it?
then overnight train to Hue
Hue - Hoi An
FLY Hoi An - Ho Chi Minh City -- is this possible?!
Ho Chi Minh - sihanoukville - how should we do this leg?
sihanoukville - Phnom Penh
FLY Phnom Penh to Siem Reap - see Ankor wat
Then back to Bangkok.

Luckily time is not a problem although id hope to do all this is 6 weeks?
Have i missed out any gems? any activities i should try out?!

Any help or criticism welcome and i hope i didnt bore you all too much!!

#1 ee104 has been a member since 25/5/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by SBE on 26/5/2008 at 02:21

It's like asking how long is a piece of string but I'll give some of that a go...

1. Depends if you want to go straight there or visit sites like Ayutthaya, Lopburi and Sukhothai en route. Bus or train if the latter, overnight train or cheap flight (Air Asia, Nokair, One-2-go) if the former.

2. Personally I'd prefer to fly from CM to LP and then go to Vientianne by road. It's more comfortable and the scenery is better IMO. However if you want to take the slow boat the border crossing is easy. Look and see if you can find the slow boat thread on this site...lots of feedback on the river boat trip to Luang Prabang.

3 Can't help with the Vietnam bit sorry!

4. Again, not too sure why you want to fly from Phom Pehn to Siem Reap's only a few hours by road and the buses and roads aren't bad. En route quite a few interesting things to see (like fried spider snacks) ;-)The road from Siem Reap to the Thai border isn't as good so maybe consider flying back to Bangkok after Angkor Wat. It's a longer and less comfortable road trip than PP-SR and the border crossing at Poipet can be a bit trying.

Bangkok Air do a discovery airpass which might be useful for your kind of trip. This said, you see more travelling overland than from an aircraft window and it isn't the easy comfortable bits that will leave the most vivid memories once you get back home.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by jugglingjim on 26/5/2008 at 04:19

hi does anyone know if you can go straight from siem reap to kratie and how long would it take, I'll be in cambodia from 23 july

#3 jugglingjim has been a member since 26/5/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by ee104 on 27/5/2008 at 18:53

Thanks for your help SBE!!
I will take your advice regarding the SR/PP back to Bangkok and probably fly from Siem Reap.
I think we may stick with the slow boat for the experience- hopefully it wont be too bad!! I agree with what you said at the end too!

#4 ee104 has been a member since 25/5/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.