Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

16 days - itinerary help

Posted by dseckel on 17/7/2008 at 05:53

We're a couple with 16 days in Thailand / Laos, end of August, beginning of Sept.

Plan is coming together, just seeking advice to fill in some holes.
So far, we're considering:
5 days Bangkok - 3 front end, 2 back end
4 days Luang Prabang (with 1.5 day "Live like a Mahout" elephant experience thrown in
4 days on a beach, likely Ko Samui

Will use discovery airpass for transit.

With 3 extra days to fill, what should we do?
Kicking around:
- day trips around Bangkok (Ayutthaya, etc)
- night or two Kanchanaburi
- 2 days Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)
- Chiang Mai
- Vang Vieng / Vientiane
- extra beach time

Is 5-6 days in BKK too much?
(note - my wife will just be arriving from Beijing, working a lot of hours with the Olympics, so perhaps looking not to run around too much, but also needs a certain amount of action)

#1 dseckel has been a member since 21/5/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/7/2008 at 08:21 admin

5-6 nights in Bangkok strikes me as a lot -- perhaps do a side trip to Ayutthata or Kanchanaburi to fill out one or two of the nights. Perhaps two nights in Bangkok to start, then a night or two in one of the above, with your final night back in Bangkok.

Siem Reap works well for a three-night visit -- especially if you don't mind flying in and out.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by daawgon on 27/7/2008 at 01:46

I vote for Chiang Mai, but I have to confess I have yet to go! I've booked 5 nights in Bangkok too (Baan Dinso Boutique Hostel), 3 nights Chiang Mai (Tri Gong Residence), then on to Hoi An, Vietnam and Hanoi for 2 more weeks. Vietnam is amazing - a return trip for me.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,129
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.