Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

To include Vietnam or not to include?

Posted by vickstar on 16/8/2008 at 13:14

Hi,

I am a 26yo female planning to travel throughout SEA in Nov & Dec 08. I have about 5 weeks free to travel independently and am very keen to travel through Cambodia and Southern Laos during that time. The question is whether I should squeeze in 10 or so days in Vietnam and shorten my time in Cambodia and Laos?

I travelled through northern Laos in Jan 08 and fell in love with the place. I definately prefer less touristy,less developed, more authetic, chilled out destinations (like Laos!)I've heard the vietnamese can be a little agressive. Is Vietnam worth squeezing in? And what destinations in Vietnam do you recommend that aren't so touristy? South or North? So many questions!

Otherwise I was thinking about possibly making it to Luang Nam Tha in Northern Laos (I missed this area in my previous travels)

Your opinion and previous travel experiences are very much appreciated (Can you tell I am a first time blogger)

#1 vickstar has been a member since 16/8/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/8/2008 at 19:22 admin

Hi vickstar,

If you're already planning Cambodia and southern Laos, then southern Vietnam fits well with your plan. With just ten days you could see Saigon, some of the Mekong Delta and a great island.

There's a good loop where you can go from Phnom Penh to Saigon by bus, hang out there for a few nights, then on into the Delta -- say My Tho and Can Tho for example, then onto Rach Gia and get the boat out to Phu Quoc Island -- which will be glorious in Nov/Dec. Then return to the mainland, overland to the new coastal border crossing and re-enter Cambodia at Kep. With two weeks you could do that comfortably...

Hope that helps - more questions - ask away

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,564
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.